Sunday, November 5, 2023

Attended the DNA meeting - Alexa is a great way to remember

The DNA meeting was interesting. I tend not to get too into matching lengths that are less than 25 centimorgans but some of these lengths do pass intact generation to generation and down the cousin paths. It is surprising sometimes although mostly seen in endogamy which I have in my Knight/Ellis/Arnold/Butt families so that the matches can be quite large as much as second cousin but they are actually fourth cousins and it is these stubborn pieces that simply pass to everyone it would appear. These families all lived in the Winterbourne Valley of Dorset in a series of villages that are all about one to two kilometres distant from each other. In my families a number of siblings married the siblings in another family (Knight and Butt) and they were already related further back thus creating a huge collapsing pedigree which I tend to think of as endogamy but not quite the same as found in some ethnic families that are closely related. It is more of a collapsing pedigree. I have that in this line and again in the Routledge line where my 3x great grandparents were both Routledge and both of the Oakshaw Routledge family from Bewcastle, Cumberland. All of those Routledge families may collapse back into one set of grandparents. I stopped working on it when my 7th cousin Thomas Routledge took it over.

I did a little survey listening to the DNA meeting as well on my five sibling results and discovered that a thesis put forward that there is an increasing tendency for whole lengths of chromosome to be passed intact from one generation to the next as parents age was actually right on. Since my parents are twelve years apart I did a quick calculation and discovered that there was an 80% chance that the passage by my father of an entire length of chromosome to one of us as compared to only a 20% chance that the same would be true of my mother and actually there are very few lengths of chromosome that are singly passed on my mother's side (only four out of 22) but on my father's side looking at all five of us and summing up there were 17 out of 22 chromosomes. Of course this is divided over five siblings and over 22 chromosomes. That is interesting I suspect from a medical point of view perhaps. The longer the length perhaps the better because you do not split lengths. Makes sense. Anyway interesting and thought provoking as if I didn't already have enough thinking to do. I actually received the entire length unbroken of one of my chromosome 1s from my father which was from his father but could be a combination from his parents (Edward Blake and Maria Jane (Knight) Blake). I would need to look at all my matches (and I have a lot actually as many members of my Blake family have tested at all of the different sites giving a lovely combination (most (more than 95%) are living in England to this day). Only my grandfather and his brother came to Canada with the rest remaining in England (he had eleven siblings).

Today I continue with the Siderfin book and I am reaching towards the end of the 11th generation. I am into the Pincombe family now and it is about four pages and then another perhaps twelve pages to complete the entire generation leaving me with the final generation which will not include anything beyond 1920. Then I can make a decision on the autosomal DNA chapter. Footnote the appendices if I think that is appropriate - these are primarily chunks of material from James Sanders book and what may have been very apparent 100 + years ago to the reader does sometimes need a little extra explanation. 

On to the proofreading and indexing as I go. Breakfast time.  Church on You-Tube today - All Saints. All Saints day is actually November 1 and I used to go to Church before School for some services in my High School days. I always loved that service remembering the Saints of the Church.

No comments: