Saturday, January 20, 2024

Blake book continuing and looking at the yDNA

 Another good day of work on the Blake book as I completed the yDNA of my brothers' samples. I had collected quite a bit through the years as I was involved with a couple of DNA projects for yDNA and in correspondence with people very involved in the defining of individual lines particularly the I2a group looking at the British Isles groups some of which were quite ancient to the Isles. I did discover a couple of new papers that I had missed one of which referred to my brother's sample as it stretches far back into early Britain but with more testing and advanced testing a couple of matches have shown up with the terminal SNP I-PH151. One located in southern England (our line) and one in Ireland. My brother and I had this constant conversation the last fifteen years of his life concerning exactly what our grandfather had said concerning the Blake line. He thought that Grandpa had said it was Irish and I distinctly remember him saying that they had lived in the Andover, Hampshire, England area for ever. I was only eight when Grandpa passed away and he was closer to eleven. But the latest Big Y chart shows it once again that two SNPS from the parent SNP and my brother's line went on to the one descendant SNP and most went on to the second descendant SNP. Since the YDNA line ends with my brothers it is most fortunate that my grandfather had a number of male cousins carrying the Blake surname who also had sons. Most of my cousins live in England with a few in Canada, a few in the United States, a few in South Africa and a few in Australia/New Zealand. I would say that better than 90% still live in the British Isles (some are in Scotland as well as England). The question is do I also have Irish? When the ethnicity results are read from the multi testing companies that we have all tested at some of us do have an interesting percentage of Irish (greater than 10%) but some of us do not. With five tested one gets an interesting display of results and matches that have proven to be most interesting particularly taken into DNA Painter. I did complete the yDNA chapter and moved on to the Chapter about Andover, Hampshire and area since that is where my line lived until my grandfather came to Canada bringing his wife and only child - my father. He came for ten years just to see the country I think partly. But the horrendous loss of male lives in particular during the First World War (he came in 1913 at nearly 40 years of age) resulted in the CNR asking him to stay longer and he did. Then six grandchildren enticed him to stay even longer. I think my grandmother dying here and buried here was another draw for him. His own parents were deceased and a number of his siblings had died and so he stayed much to the happiness of his grandchildren and myself as I spent hours listening to him talk about Upper Clatford and England. He did love his home country though. 

On to the Pencombe book today. I have not yet heard back about the document that I ordered but I am sure they are very busy. I have the abstract but would like to see the entire document and I am busy doing my Latin once again to be prepared for it to be in Latin as it is from the latter part of the 1300s. The Inquisition Postmortem for John Pencombe of Herefordshire. I am trying to see if there is a link between this Pencombe family of Pencombe Herefordshire and the Pencombe/Pincombe/Pyncombe/Pinkham family of North Molton, Devon. According to the Visitation of Devon 1620 ?Pyncombe arrived with la Zouch at North Molton at the beginning of the reign of King Henry VII (1485 +). I think now that he came with John Lord Zouch who was attainted to perhaps deliver him to his relatives at North Molton and in return he received property there. This Pencombe family left a number of documents in the early 1400s which I shall also purchase but need to review them to see exactly what might help me. I should have collected their documents when we were at Kew but I was only just starting to think about them. It is much cheaper to order them than for me to go there again!

I am finding this is working quite well having the two books ongoing at the same time. I find that the day when I am doing the one that thoughts about the other one can be quite contributing and I just jot them down for the next day. It is sort of like having a job where you are balancing a number of items at one time and to make the best use of your time it is better to schedule them so that you do not get bogged down for too long on one item!

Time for Latin and then breakfast.

No comments: