Friday, April 5, 2024

Pencombe at North Molton

Yesterday was a work day and looking at Pencombe and it is more than a week since I last really looked at Pencombe. Now that I have made my decision I need to decide how much work to do on the de Pencombe family in Herefordshire at this moment in time. Some distant cousins of mine are actually going to visit the various repositories in England during this next month so putting this chapter aside for the moment might be a worthwhile pursuit of my time. 

That moves me on to the actual information about this early Pencombe family who came with John Lord Zouch to North Molton circa 1486. How old was John Pencombe when he arrived with John Lord Zouch. He is located on the 1524-27 Devon Lay Subsidy with his likely youngest son listed next to him as W1 (i.e. Thomas is a wage earner). So Thomas is perhaps 16 years of age or more in 1524 (born circa 1508 or earlier). Thomas appears on the 1543 Devon Lay Subsidy at East Buckland (Thomas Pencombe and his subsidy listed as 9). This is a large subsidy but not the largest, that is his brother John at South Molton (John Pencombe 13) and Christopher (son of John, Christopher 10). Alice is listed at North Molton (and is she the widow of John Pencombe as he does not appear on the Subsidy) (Alice Pencombe 5). The other son of John Pencombe, William Pencombe, is listed at North Molton (William Pencombe 6). I also pulled out the material on the Pyncowe family at East Buckland and Ilfracombe in Braunton hundred but do not believe that this family is related to the Pencombe family. The Pencow spelling is retained on the Devon Lay Subsidy 1543-45. There is a Richard Pencombe at Bideford (Richard Pencombe 5) in 1543-45.

At this point I believe I have the founding member of the Pencombe family in North Molton - John Pencombe. He is possibly married to Alice and they have three sons - John, William and Thomas - and possibly a daughter Margaret but I am still not entirely sure she is in this second generation as she could also be the daughter of John (son of John Pencombe). Her marriage in 1539 does seem rather late to be a daughter and more likely a grand daughter. 

The Devon Muster Roll of 1569 listed John Pincomb at North Molton, Christopher Pincomb at South Molton (Town), John Pincomb at South Molton (Town), a second John Pincomb at South Molton (Town) (possibly a son of Christopher Pincomb) and William Pyncomb at East Buckland. At this time the two sons of John Pencombe (came with John Lord Zouch) Thomas likely by 1544 and William by 1565 are deceased. The John Pincomb (grandson possibly to John Pencombe (deceased by 1543)) has perhaps inherited his grandfather's property or this John Pincomb is the eldest son and now on his father's property with his son John and grandson John at South Molton. 

At this point I shall now begin extracting information from Find My Past. I believe I will work on twenty year periods as there are more than 14,000 hits for the spelling Pincombe alone and adding in the variants for Pincombe yields over 229,000 hits. I have worked out individuals the common variants and it runs around 60,000 hits. I think my method of doing 20 years at a time whilst recording the number of hits total for each decade will let me review periodically if I am missing anything as time passes. It is time to begin as it will be a long process. I have a new chart in my Legacy Family Tree Program that I will use and I will record everything that I find. I will only link in those that can be readily linked. I will not avoid the spellings like Pynkeham but will include them. Will I include the Tynkeham, Tinkham, Tincombe people; I still have to consider that but I am not sure they show up with the Pincombe + variants search and will try that out in a 20 years cycle. No there are over 3000 in a random sample of Pincombe + variants over 20 years and nearly 1500 Tincombe over the same random period (reviewing the samples shows that there is no overlap). 

I shall begin a sample today likely 1520 to 1560 and there are 888 hits for Pincombe + variants. It begins!. But then I went skiing and did not work on this extraction after all but will begin the next Pencombe day which will be Saturday. 

Teatime and Latin.

 

No comments: