Thursday, April 11, 2024

The Story of Moses on Netflix

The Story of Moses has been particularly well done on Netflix. The knowledge and enthusiasm of the researchers from Judaism, Islam and Christianity has been an enormous asset to this latest series.

 Netflix has really been an asset with their various selections over the past must be nearly ten years since I subscribed. Initially I subscribed so the children could watch their cartoons when they came to visit. But then I started discovering the many different shows that they published or had the rights to for a period of time. Up until then we bought movies on disc and before that on tape. Now I have pretty much given away all of those discs and tapes to Salvation Army although do still have one goodsized bookcase full of CDs mostly although one row of tapes of my most favourite. But I did discover that the tapes do not last for years and years so will probably give the rest of those to Salvation Army this summer if they are still taking them. The CDs I will have to think about because they seem more stable and are of course newer. 

My collection of historical and genealogical CDs is quite large as well but I did offer them to the Anglican Archives eventually along with my 2000 fiche of mostly BMBs from various parishes in England. Generally when we went I bought these many items at local churches or at Who Do You Think You Are when we went in 2013. That was an amazing Conference with even the furtherest away counties having a table often combined with several others. They have done amazing work through the years on their historical records. Find My Past has a lot of that work now but I still pull out my CDs often enough just to have a look. It was on one such CD that I found a reference to my Charles Butt being a "Wesleyan preacher" although he did live and die an Anglican but that was also true of the founders of the Wesleyan sect. Looking at the "protestant" Church in England I have never been convinced that moving away from the Church of England was a good plan. The Church of England is ancient as is the Church of Wales, the Church of Ireland and the Church of Scotland. All have very deep roots in the British Isles which preceded the Roman advance into the British Isles more than two thousand years ago now. But then I would describe myself as Catholic rather than Protestant. 

As Edward discovered his Protestant roots I was actually not surprised given his "free" thinker attitude but he came to enjoy the Anglican Church (Christ Church Cathedral) after I think maybe three years at Dominion Chalmers and twenty years at Orleans United Church and before that Metropolitan United in London and Princeton United Church in his home town Princeton, Ontario for Edward. I attended St Andrew Memorial Anglican Church in London all of my life up to my marriage and then attended with Edward in London (although living close to St Paul's Cathedral I did go to early service or would drive, once we bought a car, to my childhood Church and my father was always there at early service). Finding a United Church here proved to be not easy for Edward but moving to Orleans and then the new Church of Convent Glen United interested him but I was hesitant so we didn't go that first year but waited until the fall came around once again and as I had promised I did attend Edward's church for about twenty years (although I used to go to the local Anglican Church for early service). But back to Dominion Chalmers and what attracted Edward was the minister who was an old testament scholar and his sermons were absolutely excellent (I really found them to be most thought provoking as the old testament covers so much of our history as a people in those ancient days) but he retired and the new minister there was more of a folksy person and modern music and I was surprised that Edward didn't want to still be part of that as he was very into Country Music but I guess the two are different and being mostly a Classical Music admirer I fail to see the difference I guess. His time at the Cathedral was something that surprised him I rather think. He didn't really  move from being United Church but he found great solace in the choirs and that was probably what really interested him - all that Gregorian Chant which he did love to listen to. 

I was really content with the YouTube Christ Church Cathedral on line week after week once it started up during COVID and then lasted for a year or so after and do miss it still on a weekly basis but attend when services are online. But finding the Church of England online from various Churches/Chapels in England has been a wondrous adventure I must say. Perhaps the most meaningful was attending St Martin-in-the-Fields near Trafalgar Square where my 2x great grandparents Henry Christopher Buller and Anne (Welch) Buller attended when they were living in London. We had visited that Church one of our times in London and they actually have a lunch cafe in the basement of that Church where we ate that day. That was certainly a spectacular Sunday for me. But all the others are equally wonderful at which to be a visitor. 

A working day today and finally I will get to Blake as the days past have just been packed full of things to be done. I will continue with the chapter on the Blake Pedigree Chart and the Blake Family Chart - reviewing them and adding in the historical details that I have since located which are not always in agreement with those written documents. This need to correct on my part is just my nature and once written it can then be reviewed by others and their opinions added. That is the real value of the internet although one must always be cautious not to try to control the internet. Dictatorship of anything is just wrong especially when one country invades another country with no justification for doing so; we must not falter in our defense of Ukraine or Israel. We do need to protect the children though as they are the future of this world. But holding them as hostage hoping to protect yourself as an adult is just sick.

Teatime and Latin.

No comments: