Sunday, July 7, 2019

DNA in genealogy

I was starting to think I could wrap up my DNA work as it takes so much of my time. I know that my paternal grandmother was not interested in her actual father so the incentive to look for this line has not been particularly huge. She enjoyed her family life with her step-father and mother and never appeared to have thought of anyone else in terms of family judging by letters that went back and forth. I had wanted to prove my lines back and that has happened so what more could I use DNA for I was thinking. Well this new tool at Ancestry and setting up groups has rather given me pause for thought as I work on groups. I have proven back to 4x great grandparents on most of my lines with the help of all those cousins testing out there. Perhaps I could discover more matching as I work my way through those 27,000 plus matches that I have at Ancestry. I will put it a bit on the back burner because it does take a lot of time though. Just because my interest level tends to be driven by my mother's interest in genealogy and desire to create a family tree to hand on, I have become more interested in the deep ancestry of my parents' paternal lines (Blake and Pincombe). I think my mother was curious about her mother-in-law's parentage, but I am not going to devote as much time as I have been to DNA and trying to unravel the mystery of my paternal grandmother's father and the mystery of my maternal grandmother's mother Ellen Taylor! This is my mtDNA line and over time a match that conclusively points to Ireland or Scotland may arrive in my matches. I am rather sure that in terms of deep ancestry this line was in the Argyllshire/Ayrshire area of Scotland.

I really want to get on with my transcriptions and putting together the marriages that I have accumulated thus far for Blake and they are numbering around 6000.

Finding the phasing for Chromosome 23 though has shown me that I should still spend some time with DNA so that I pass on to another family member one day the work up to date. I am quite sure that my grandmother was not interested in her actual father; after all he did not raise her. We shouldn't let DNA rule our minds where family is concerned I am rather thinking.

No comments: