Sunday, December 1, 2019

Will of James Blake, Mariner, St Nicholas Deptford, Greenwich, Kent, England - National Archives PROB 11/739/246, probated 11 Apr 1745

The testator James Blake does not give many clues to his identity.

His sister Sarah is married to a Thomas Bluck (potter) and they live at St Nicholas Deptford, Kent. No record was found for their marriage. There is a baptism for a Sarah Bluck 30 Sep 1772 at St Paul, Deptford daughter of Thomas and Sarah Bluck. 

There is a British Army Service Record for a James Blake but he has stated he was a mariner (that James Blake was a Drummer in the 7th Company, the document a muster roll 27 Apr 1745 so definitely not the testator). 

The burial of James Blake was located in the St Nicholas Deptford, Greenwich, Kent burial record. Burial was 26 Mar 1744. James Blake mariner Anchorsmith Ally, buried 26 Mar 1745.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 30 Nov 2019
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/739/246
Testator: James Blake, Mariner now belonging to his Majesty’s Yacht Carolina
Place: Saint Nicholas Deptford, Kent
Type of Record:    Will
Date of document: 10 Sep 1744, probated 11 Apr 1745

[Margin]: James Blake

1    In the Name of God Amen
2    I James Blake of the parish of St Nicholas Deptford in the County  
3    of Kent Mariner and now belonging to his Majesty’s Yacht the
4    Carolina being in Bodily Health and of a perfect sound and
5    disposing Mind Memory and understanding do for avoiding
6    controver[s]eys after my decease, make publish and declare these
7    presents to be and contain all my whole last Will and Testament in
8    manner and form following That is to say First and principally I
9    recommend my Soul into the hands of Almighty God that gave
10    it hoping and assuredly trusting and believing that through the
11    alone Merits and Mediation of Jesus Christ my most Blessed
12    Lord and Saviour to receive full and free pardon and forgiveness
13    of and for all my sins and after this Mortal Life ended to enjoy
14    everlasting Rest and happiness in the kingdom of Heaven my
15    body I commit to the Earth to be decently interred at the
16    discretion of my Executors herein after mentioned And
17    touching such Temporal Estate as God of his infinite Mercy
18    And Goodness shall be pleased to bless me withal I give and
19    dispose thereof in manner and form following That is to say
20    Imprimis my Mind Will and desire is that all my just debts and
21    Funeral Expences shall be first paid satisfied and discharged
22    all the Rest Residue and Remainder of all and singular my Ready
23    Money Bills Bonds Specialtys Wages household Goods plate
24    Rings Jewells and all other my Estate whether Real or personal
25    of whatsoever nature kind or quality the same is or may be
26    found after my decease I do give devise and bequeath the same
27    unto my Brother in Law Thomas Bluck of the parish of St
28    Nicholas Deptford aforesaid potter and Sarah his wife and
29    the survivor of them and the heirs executors and administrators
30    for Ever And I do hereby nominate and appoint them the
31    said Thomas Bluck and Sarah his Wife joint Executors of this
32    my last Will and Testament And I do hereby revoke annul
33    and make void all former and other Wills Testaments and
34    deeds of Gift by me at any time heretofore made and these
35    presents to be and contain all my last Will and Testament In
36    Witness whereof I the said James Blake have hereunto set
37    My hand and seal the tenth day of September in the eighteenth
38    year of the Reign of our Soveraign Lord George the second
39    by the Grace of God of Great Britain France and Ireland King
40    Defender of the Faith and so forth and in the year of our Lord
41    1744 James Blake Signed, sealed, published and declared
42    by the said James Blake the Testator as and for his last
43    Will and Testament in the presence of us who subscribed
44    our Names as witnesses hereto at the request and in the
45    presence of the said Testator and in the presence of each other
46    Anne Wellings John Effaker Tho: Wellings
47    This Will was proved at London before the Worshipfull
48    Charles Pinford doctor of Laws Surrogate of the Right Worshipfull
49    John Bettesworth also doctor of Laws Master keeper or Commissary
50    of the prerogative Court of Canterbury lawfully constituted the
51    twenty second day of April in the Year of our Lord One Thousand
52    seven hundred and forty five By the Oath of Thomas Bluck
53    one of the Executors named in the said Will To whom was
54    granted administration of all and singular the Goods Chattells
55    and Credits of the deceased being first sworn duly to
56    administer (power reserved of making the like Grant to
57    Sarah Bluck (wife of the said Thomas Bluck) the other
58    executor therein named when she shall apply for the same)

No comments: