Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Appointment for Physiotherapy and expansion of exercise effort

We walked to the physiotherapy appointment (my first time outside without the walker) as it seemed safer with all that sleet/snow that came our way. I have now been walking 30 minutes continuously around the house so will not use the walker after the weekend as the mall will be considerably less busy when we go for our walks there.

I am up to biking 15 minutes and will expand that to 30 minutes by my next visit to physio. Still at level 1 but the endurance is good.

A new exercise and working on my hands now with a stress circle that I bought at Sportchek. Can do up to 15 times with the entire hand but he showed me the way to just exercise two fingers at a time and will head for that eventually. My fingers have become progressively weaker and did need to work on that. I thought that lifting weights would help but actually you need to use a tool that focuses on the fingers I have discovered.

Also added the plank back into my calisthenics which I had missed doing and managed 1 minutes 20 seconds yesterday. He suggests heading towards three minutes so will gradually expand to that. Still no running, no jumping jacks and no plies. Must increase the walking in the day to offset the running I used to do.

As 2019 ends and we move to 2020, I am now 74 years, three months and seven days old. I can remember my grandmother at this age. She was still a very busy woman gardening, doing her own cleaning, cooking, sewing her own clothes, knitting for charity, walking up to the shopping district about half of a mile from her house and carrying her shopping back with her (it wasn't a lot but still it is an effort). She tried to continue with that vigorous lifestyle too long perhaps as I can remember that by 80 she was getting quite thin and her attention span was weakening. I think she worked too hard which is what I always say to my husband and he is 76 years, 8 months and 13 days. In every hour we should take ten minutes just for a rest and then gradually increase the rest break as we age.

Of course so many other things are life controlling but rest is very very important as you age.

No comments: