Friday, March 20, 2020

Microsoft Solitaire again

Microsoft Solitaire is an interesting way to start a day especially on Day 7 of isolation; it is an entire week since I have directly spoken to anyone outside of the house. I find it quite easy actually and can keep going for quite a while. My husband finds it very frustrating; he is much more of a people person than I am. I grew up in a household of nine people. It is hard to find a quiet time with eight other people in a house. I have always relished my quiet times. I lived upstairs in our house. Probably when our house was built the idea was that at some time one would put a dormer roof on the house and build a couple of bedrooms up there; the staircase already existed and we had large attic spaces around a largish room (probably 40 feet by 20 feet but I am not really good at guessing such things. There was a large closet at one end where surplus clothing hung and a portion of that closet was mine. I asked to sleep up there when I was seven years of age. My mother was conflicted on that idea but my father was fine with it and I moved up there into that enormous room. I loved it there from day one. It was all mine. Before moving up there it was a playroom and on wet days we would play board games; card games up there my siblings and myself but my older siblings (three of them) were not so much into those board games and card games by the time I was seven and no one objected to the loss of the playroom. I loved my own bedroom and that is probably a novelty for most children where they have six siblings. I was to share it though as my younger sister would arrive when I was eight years of age and join me upstairs when she was two years of age.

Exercise Time. Back from exercise (69 active minutes on my Fit Bit - 23 min walk, 22 min run and 24 minutes of calisthenics which includes my physio exercises modified somewhat to fit into my calisthenics routine). Still to come a walk outside (it is pouring with rain here but I have an absolutely waterproof rainsuit that will fit over my snow jacket!) of approximately 20 minute duration. Then aerobic exercise this afternoon (one hour) and yoga this evening (30 minutes). I am waiting to put my swing up (soon; perhaps the beginning of April). That will be excellent for my knee; helping to strengthen it.

Off to breakfast and I especially look forward to my breakfast. Lunch can be interesting with yoghurt, walnuts, cashews and almonds plus chocolate and ginger root and a slice of toast and either a banana, orange or pepper or tomato. Dinner I have always found less interesting unless it is fish and sweet potato and a vegetable that I especially like (brussel sprouts are one of my favourites). We usually bake our own desserts these days.

Today I shall continue working on Chromosome 1 and my DNA Painter Profiles for the five of us. I am nearly finished with chromosome 1. I have two files for matches - one by chromosome and one by grandparent match. I have two excel files, both by chromosome, with one being known matches and the other being all the matches. I use my 23 and Me results for four of us to create the phasing graphs that I use to see where we are in common, where we share just one of the two chromosomes and where we do not share any. For the most part this works very well with occasional small discrepancies. I have retested myself because I tested six years before my other three siblings and that may make a difference. The other difference is of course because not the entire chromosome is being compared but rather a selective number of SNPs are compared between each set of crossovers.


No comments: