Thursday, January 14, 2021

Taking stock

At 75 years and nearly four months of age I decided to take stock today. My time is no longer my own; I spend all of my waking hours for the most part (and in the night on occasion although my daughter covers that well as she is a night hawk) looking after my husband. I have not accomplished any of my own work since November. That will be the case for quite a while I rather think.

I do have a nervous disorder which manifests itself on occasion and have had a couple of small events the past couple of months. They do tend to take up my time as well as I recover. I have not been on medication for over 45 years now for that nervous disorder (originally thought to be multiple sclerosis but never actually tested to affirm). Since I have lived to this age without complications I tend to think that I probably do not have that but rather it was extreme exhaustion following the birth of my first child from which it took me a while to recover plus a known weakness in my nervous system but not as severe as multiple sclerosis. My hemoglobin was only 28 after she was born and it was a few years before my system recovered from that rather low level. The ob said that I should probably stick to one child given my history but eight years later we did have our second child whom we love dearly and luckily I did not have a massive bleeding event when she was born (the first was thought to be placenta prevaria). 

Looking backwards I have dealt with a lot of exhaustion but these days I am still moving along although I credit much of that to my heavy exercise schedule and an excellent diet. I also had some really good medical opinions (some people found my case rather curious and queried me about parts of it) when I was working at the hospital for ten years which I have followed to the letter. 

So taking stock I can foresee that the next few years will likely be spent caring for my husband and little else.  But I will try to work in some of my Genealogy work as time passes.

No comments: