Saturday, July 3, 2021

Transcription first draft completed and discussion being created

The first draft of the transcription of the land document is completed.  I will need to go through it to fill in the blanks and there are not too many after all. There is some latin in the document but it is primarily in English (with some french spelling). Certainly one can better understand the will of this John Pincombe upon reading the Land document. He does not even mention his son John in his will only his daughters and grandchildren. One senses in the will that there could be discord over the will and perhaps given the nature of the land possessions that does follow especially as this son and heir is likely considerably younger than his half siblings who have adult children older than he is. 

I wondered at his choice of executrix (his youngest granddaughter) but perhaps she had spent time with her half-sibling brother who was just a little older than she was at the time of the writing of the will and felt she might just be more amiable to her half-brother. Interesting to think about that in retrospect. 

I had said earlier that this John had no living descendants but there is perhaps a possibility that one of his grandchildren's descendants still is living if there were any. I do not follow the female lines down (including my own) in this one name study. I only look at the marriage of a Pincombe daughter and perhaps list her children but do not go beyond that. In my case, my mother was a Pincombe but I have not actually listed all my siblings although perhaps one day I will but none of us even carry the Pincombe name as a second name. 

I shall have to find my images of the Wardship papers for John Pincombe the younger. I have about 2000 images that I have never worked with that I took at Kew back in 2013 and again in 2014. It is a marvelous library and not to be missed if you are able to go. We did take a couple of hours and tour Kew Gardens at the same time and that is another fascinating place. 

This will be a continuing narrative through several issues of the Newsletter I suspect. 

I found a definition for this document:

An extent is a survey describing all the property of a manor and giving it a value in terms of what it is worth as an annual rent. They normally follow a set order: first the manor house, then the demesne land, then the tenants’ rents and services.

No comments: