Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Amazing happening - third cousin once removed

 Had a quick note on Ancestry from a likely third cousin once removed in my maternal grandmother's line. This line has been worked on by me with very little knowledge of my great grandmother Ellen Taylor who was born in Birmingham, England in October 1859 but I set the net wider than that when I researched her back in 2008 to 2012. I knew she was 37 years of age when she died my grandmother was eleven then and did pass on some information about her mother. Also her father was a shoemaker. 

Out of the blue I have had a message on ancestry from a descendant of Ellen's likely sister Eliza. So that was pretty amazing. I am still sorting through the information which he has sent to me. The Taylor family were bootmakers and shoemakers in Birmingham in the 1800s and possibly earlier but I hit a dead end with the grandfather of Thomas Taylor (Ellen's likely father). So I am off looking once again at the Taylor family. It was an amazing trip the first time for sure and if this individual tests his DNA we could prove this relationship (or disprove it!). Time will tell on that. DNA is as always my biggest interest - I do find it fascinating. 

The latest find in south Africa was most interesting moving the dating of modern man back another two million years. The next century will offer so much I am thinking as the world dries up a little and so many more discoveries are made in the areas that had been covered with water for centuries. Hopefully it will keep the emerging imperialists in line to know that humankind does best when freedom is permitted to be the common underlying tradition in a society. Imperialism is an archaic way of life; better to go with the established boundaries and forge ahead as a society on a global scale. Of course if the citizens of a country overwhelming agree to be part of a larger conglomerate than so be it but forced occupation by an imperialistic state should be a thing of the past. It never works well for the invader. 

COVID-19 on its way up again as the Fall approaches. Hard to think of the fall approaching but as we are now into summer than Fall is definitely next and the inside time at least in Canada. China shutting down parts of their country due to COVID-19 once again. We do need to learn more about COVID and whether it could become degenerative in our populations or whether genetically people will move beyond COVID and be totally immune or at least more resistant. It is different from the Bubonic Plague of the 1300s-1500s although left untreated it could perhaps have become as deadly. It continues to mutate. 

Almost finished the Kipp Newsletter. I have to do some work on the yDNA study but have not yet decided what to do. That is where my true interest lies in any research project except I left the Kipp study to Edward so am not overly familiar with it. I need to do more advanced work on his yDNA sample if that is possible. I think that he sent in a new sample about six years ago and will check on that soon. I had not actually thought of myself as doing any of his work but the logical answer for the moment is that I carry on with it for a period of time. 

It was an amazing piece of information the Taylor cousin writing on Ancestry messaging has sent to me. Mind you much is known of my connections here and his research on Taylor is considerably less than I have done going back in time but still it is quite fascinating that he was able to collect the information on Thomas Taylor (our likely mutual 2x and in his case 3x great grandfather). We will see what can be gleaned by two people working on the same line on opposite sides of the Ocean. If he was tempted to do his DNA then I have a lot of matches there that I assume are Taylor and a couple known to be descendant of my Buller/Taylor line. It is the fast way to find/eliminate cousins. The latter choice is always a hard one to make as once found one probably doesn't really want to give up a cousin who has responded!

On to the day. It is cleaning today as we spent yesterday afternoon golfing. I haven't golfed in 58 years and my daughter it is about 25 years since she and her Dad golfed. But we were off and did 18 holes in just over three hours. We were perhaps lucky we had a group right ahead of us and a group right behind us so it inspired us to keep going so as not to infringe on anyone's time. It appears that my husband's golf clubs (some of them) are a bit archaic as we learned from these younger golfers. 


No comments: