Thursday, July 21, 2022

Protestation Returns for Devon

Spent a number of hours reading through the Protestation Returns for Devon. Years ago when we were in Salt Lake City I looked up all the Protestation Returns for Devon for the Pincombe family but my mind was still fresh to genealogy and I did not capture all of the spellings that I now know to exist for the Pincombe family in Devon. Hence, I am working my way through the website from the Parliamentary Library which lets me look at each of the original documents. I have found a few more unique spellings and along with the Wills Index on the Genuki Devon pages I am finding a few more to help with the quest of where did the Pincombe family go from North Molton in the 1500s and 1600s. 

This slow but methodical collecting of information will help with this next Newsletter for the Pincombe family and for all future newsletters likely. Once I got into the idea of looking at individuals this was bound to follow. 

I also discovered Ancestry has a new DNA Painter attached to the ethnicity of each of the sets of results comparing one's parents. With four siblings at Ancestry this is quite an interesting display and I will probably do more work on it having now extracted the information into a powerpoint file so that I can do comparisons. Because my parents came from distinct areas of England it may be possible to determine which line belongs to which parent. Time will tell but in the meantime I would comment no surprises emerged as our ethnicity is pretty constant across sites although variable in total percentages because of the standards that are used by each testing agency. It is very interesting really to see the largest percentage which is always Britain and Northern Europe since everyone living in Britain today has come from elsewhere as Britain was probably covered in a kilometre or more of ice during the last ice age according to the thoughts on that matter. 

On to breakfast, I am late today.

No comments: