Thursday, October 20, 2022

Back and forth on the Routledges

 A few notes back and forth on the Routledge family. I always have a bit of a weak spot when I read the stories of adopted people and when I spot the line for at least one ancestor I do like to let the person know. In this case it was a fourth cousin likely four times removed who shared my 3x great grandparents Thomas Routledge and Elizabeth Routledge. I think if you are that curious about your ancestors that it is nice to give them a little assist especially when they had so many names already that it wasn't too big of a leap back another four generations to their ancestors. They can learn a lot about the Routledge family online and by visiting the London, Ontario Public Library and if there are still copies of the London Township History Book they could purchase one or at least see it at the Library if they are able to make that trip. I have had a few direct requests (and one of my very large matches continue to mystify although I know it is in my Knight-Butt line which is a collapsing pedigree on the Knight side with my being descended from two sons through several generations down to my great grandmother Maria Jane Knight) from adopted people that I have been able to assist. Personally I think everyone has a right to know their ancestry.

Working on the phasing of my great grandparents I did tackle the 23rd chromosome and surprisingly I was able to separate out parts of the X chromosome inherited directly from my paternal grandmother via our father. The three of us (my sisters and I) match perfectly on this chromosome as there is just one chromosome to pass down. I was able to separate out the spots on either end that belong to the father of my paternal grandmother. The middle part appears to be primarily Rawlings as I do have just one Rawlings match there (actually from the Lywood family. The parents of my great grandmother Elizabeth Rawlins were William Rawlins and Elizabeth Lywood (my 2x great grandparents) who actually raised my paternal grandmother at least at the time of the 1881 census when she was four years of age. Her mother (Elizabeth Rawlins) married William Taylor in 1882 and the Taylor family is found on the 1891 census where my grandmother is named as Bessie Taylor. Although I never knew her my paternal grandfather (who lived with us) painted a lovely picture of her as did my father who was quite devoted to his mother. What I found would never have likely seen the light of day without my extensive sleuthing and purchase of ten certificates in total before I finally located my paternal grandmother's original birth registration. 


This picture is the earliest that I have for my paternal grandmother. My father is perhaps four years of age but could be older he was quite small for his age but this is taken in England before they came to Canada in 1913 when my father was almost ten years of age. 

Continuing today on phasing and will work on Chromosome 22 to see if the new matches alter anything there although I am also still working through the chromosome database to look at each of the new matches individually as I do transfer known matches into a separate smaller database that I do use for phasing. But my fingers became itchy to work on Chromosome 23 in advance of completing that task. 

Prayers for Ukraine as always.

No comments: