Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Phasing Great Grandparents

I worked on my Rawlings-Cotterill (? on the Cotterill as not proven) phasing yesterday and was surprised to see that on the first three chromosomes everything just fell into place and I could see which matches are not Rawlings. If one considers that you would inherit 12.5% (average) from a great grandparent which one can look at as approximately 10% of the length of the DNA, it is actually possible it would appear to phase great grandparents readily.  Chromosome one is rather interesting because one of my siblings has inherited largely from our paternal grandmother at almost 90% with 10% being my paternal grandfather. I have 100% paternal grandfather and another sibling has 95% paternal grandfather/5% paternal grandmother. The remaining two siblings have  40% paternal grandmother/60% paternal grandfather and 25% paternal grandmother/75% paternal grandfather. We have some really good matches with Rawlings cousins known to us that really let us look at Chromosome 1 so I was able to then take the portion belonging to my paternal grandmother and split between her parents. In the case of 40% paternal grandmother/60% paternal grandfather the grandmothers is split 3% Rawlings and 37% father of my paternal grandmother. Another sibling with 90% paternal grandmother splits into 25% Rawlings and 65% father of my paternal grandmother. For me there isn't a paternal grandmother component. The 5% of the 5/95 split is Rawlings and the 25%/75% split is 25% father of my paternal grandmother. That did give me a number of matches (in a range to actually consider them) that belong to my paternal grandmother's father. I continued with chromosome 2 and 3 with 2 having matches not really large enough to follow up on and 3 having again a substantial split which makes it quite interesting looking at the matches. 

I believe I will continue with this project once I have all these new matches entered into the system. It will be interesting to look at all of my great grandparents and their contributions to our DNA. The project above was more curiosity than anything and the unsolved match I have with a cousin which does now appear to be in my paternal grandmother's line and since one of my cousins has also tested at the same website and does not match I suspect this may be in my paternal grandmother's father's line.

Somewhat fascinating for sure although my father did know about his natural maternal grandfather in terms of what he did for a living and it is perhaps that he also knew his name. He just never mentioned it although did talk a great deal about his step-grandfather whom he adored and the admiration was quite mutual I understand from my grandfather (his father). My father's first name was from this step-grandfather's family. Although birth connection does mostly pre-empt any relationship that isn't birth; when that relationship doesn't actually exist between a natural grandfather and a grandson a step-grandfather can quickly become that grandparent in a child's mind and replace the natural individual as I learned from my father's attitude. I think about that where my husband is concerned now that he is no longer with his grandsons or any of us; keeping him alive by little mentions is important else he is forgotten which is just sad as he loved them dearly. When I return home I will leave his picture so the boys will have that constant reminder of their grandfather. It is a picture that looks very like the grandfather they remember as during COVID they did not see him very often so will not remember as he declined which is nice in a way although now in my old age I am glad that I remember my parents and grandparents in their declining years as it gives me a goal in my mind to do as well as they did. They were all busy people in their lives and sharp as a needle until almost the end of their lives except my father who was in a nursing home the last seven years of his life (he was over 94 when he passed). I would visit him all day when we went and gradually the fogs of institution would dissipate and we would chat and remember things that we had enjoyed doing together mostly walking to be honest; we both love walking. He was unfortunately wheel chair bound (I think he would have tried to walk if he was still at home but it would have been dangerous for him) those last seven years and it just wasn't where he wanted to be for sure and he didn't make it easy for my siblings who visited him rather more often than I did. 

I see Russia is starting to name people they claim were involved in the truck bomb. I still wonder if the Russian leadership actually did the deed and are just searching around for possibilities to blame (will those people ever see the light of day?). Did the truck actually have a bomb? Did the Russian secret service plant a bomb under the pavement which just exploded far more than they intended? An Act of God moment for sure as that inferno erupted. All the proof has been blown up for sure. Time for Russia to get out of Ukraine and forget about rebuilding the Soviet Union; people do not want to be slaves in your kingdom Nazi Putin.

No comments: