Tuesday, January 24, 2023

More Snow promised and it is already starting

This will be a great snow winter perhaps; time will tell. Some winters we have so much snow and then others not so much. But we do live in an area that can get lots of snow and I do love the snow. I would miss it for sure. 

Yesterday two floors cleaned and today the basement and then that task is finished for the week. I did not do a thing on the Siderfin book yesterday I spent it all pretty much cleaning. I have a few extra jobs that I wanted to accomplish just to neaten things up and so that was done and I am happy with that. I need not to have clutter as I find it distracting when I am trying to work. 

Today work on the Protestation Returns of Somerset to make sure all of the Siderfin members have been extracted as that is an important time in Somerset history. With the wills all destroyed in the bombing of the Exeter Record Office, the need to use other tools is very important. Fortunately there was a lot of abstracting done on those wills and the Siderfin family has a lot of Abstracts which I have put into an earlier blog. 

William Siderfin
Lived at Luxborough, Somerset
Will dated 20 Aug 1568
Probate 16 May 1572
Christian, burial in Chancel
All bequeathed to Wilmot, his wife
Witnessed by Mr. Alexander Sydenham

Christian Siderfin
Lived at Luxborough, Somerset
Widow
Will dated 28 Nov 1644
Probate 4 July 1648
Daughter Mary Gyldes (lives at Dunster, widow)
Son William Siderfin
Son Thomas Siderfin
Son Robert Siderfin
Daughter Wilmot Siderfin
Sons of Thomas Siderfin (her son) Thomas and Philip

Thomas Siderfin
the elder of Luxborough, Somerset
Gentleman
Will dated 6 Nov 1675 (no probate)
To the poor 10 pounds
His wife is Johan
Son Robert Siderfin
Son Thomas Siderfin (50 pounds) and all his law books
All children to receive one peece of Barbary gould
Grandchild La....
Johan his wife executrix

Thomas Siderfin
Middle Temple, London
Esquire
Will dated 17 Mar 1678
Will proved 15 June 1681 (by Ann Siderfin, widow)
Wife Ann
Brother Robert Siderfin and wife Ann to receive his messuages of Crodon, Manors of Exton and South Quarme (in Exton), lands in Carhampton, Somerset, and in Lambeth
100 pounds a year to his wife
50 pounds per year to Anne his daughter
Survivor of wife and brother to receive lands in Somerset

Katherine Sidderfin alias Graves
Croydon, Carhampton, Somerset
Died at Exeter
Husband Robert Sidderfin
Administration granted 23 Nov 1686 to husband

Thomas Siderfin
Luxborough, Somerset
Administration to his widow Mary 4 Nov 1687
Daughter Christian (wife of John Worth)

Mary Siderfin
Luxborough, Somerset
widow
Will dated 19 Nov 1689
Will proved 10 Oct 1693
Grandchildren: Susanna Worth, Christian Worth, Mary Worth and Sarah Worth
Daughter Christian Worth

Ann Siderfin
Lambeth
Widow
Will dated 22 Mar 1687
Will proved 5 Mar 1706
Buried at Lambeth near husband and mother
Aunt Gee
Aunt Gee's sons Orlando and Joe Gee
Cousin Gilbert East

William Siderfin
Minehead, Somerset
Gentleman
Will dated 9 Mar 1716
Will proved 17 Dec 1723
Niece Rachael Clothier
Wife Mary to be Executrix

Richard Blackford
Dunster, Somerset
King's Masters Extraordinary in the Court of Chancery
Will dated 8 Jan 1688
Will proved 4 Apr 1689
Wife Elizabeth Blackford
Son William
Daughter Sidwell Blackford
Sister Mary Coffin
Sister Christian Blackford
Cousin John Quirck
Cousin Robert Siderfin
Sister ....Hawkins
Son in law Edward Dyke
Daughter Elizabeth Dyke

Mary Quirke
Periton, Minehead, Somerset
Widow
Will dated 3 Mar 1728
Will proved 29 April 1730
Son in law Walter Siderfin
Grandson Thomas Quirke
Daughter Mary Question
Daughter Alice Siderfin
Son John Quirke
Son James Quirke
Son Robert Quirke
Son Thomas Quirke

Robert Quirck
Minehead, Somerset
Gentleman
Will dated
19 July 1731
Will proved 9 July 1731
Uncle Mr. Robert Siderfin (Executor)
Son of kinsman Mr. Walter Siderfin, is Robert Siderfin, gives his estate in Old Cleeve

These wills that were abstracted by F. Brown are very handy but I do have more Siderfin Wills in the time frame of the 1600s that I must also look up once again. It is interesting coming back to a project that I worked on steadily nearly 15 years ago now. I should write to my cousin and see what he accumulated but I assume he is disappointed at not proving the line in order to show "rights" to the Siderfin Coat of Arms although my knowledge of such things is limited and the process that one must go through. Coats of Arms do not actually interest me very much; although they can be helpful in figuring out a family (Blake is a good example). The Pincombe Coat of Arms has been considerably less useful as it was only used by one family and the line daughtered out and it does not appear to have been used officially since the 1600s. Other than that I really haven't looked at Crests to be honest. 

The will of Thomzine Siderfin became rather important in my thinking as I read through the old blog post. I shall attempt to pick up on that particular thought. It is James Sanders chart that brings it to mind as he has Robert father of Robert married to Elizabeth Question (he actually has Elizabeth Blackwood but that is incorrect) listed, This Robert is said to have married Thomasin who died in 1709 leaving a will. Robert is said to be of Selworthy. I just noticed that there isn't an e on the forename. So must alter my search path from what was in my thoughts at the time of the earlier blog post. She only mentions one son though and so the Chart that I can see does not link this Robert married to Thomasin back to the line from which it appears to connect. Interesting actually. Where does this Robert fit in and that is my search at this time. Where does this Robert fit in as I am sure Thomasin would have mentioned all of her children in her will.

The abstract for the will of Thomasin Siderfin is in Sanders book so the original will once again was lost:

Thomasin Siderfin, Selworthy, widow. Will dated 2nd July, 1709. Mentions son, Robert Siderfin. Cousin Robert Siderfin of Linch. Grandsons, John, Robert, Augustine, Thomas, various small legacies, and granddaughters, Jane, Susanna. Witness: Thomas Trill, John Harrison, Joane Trill. 

I believe this is the point that I was at when I surrendered my one-name Siderfin family study to my cousin and so I had forgotten that the will abstract was in the book. Lucky find first thing in the morning. It is from this line that my Siderfin ancestor arose - Elizabeth Siderfin daughter of Robert Siderfin and  Grace Kent. Augustine was a School Master at Selworthy. I am assuming that he taught school but will do a little search to learn more about that. According to the Cambridge Dictionary Schoolmaster is an old-fashioned noun and the meaning - a man who teaches children in a school. I would say that learning was very important in this line as my 2x great grandmother was also a school teacher before marrying John Pincombe. She home schooled her children which my mother mentioned and was considered to be quite fierce in having all five of her children well educated. Certainly my grandfather John Routledge Pincombe had a great interest in reading according to my grandmother. 

On to breakfast and the rest of the cleaning. A busy day ahead as I immerse myself in the Siderfin family once again when the work is done.


 

No comments: