Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Pincumbe/Pincombe/Pinkham/Pencombe and their various spellings

An interesting email yesterday where a descendant of the Pincombe family has traced his lineage back to the Bishops Nympton Pincombe family which is my own. I believe he is the first descendant of Thomas Pincombe that I have met (younger brother to my William) and both are sons of John Pincombe and Johane Blackmoore. Their sons were William,  John, Thomas and Hugh with daughters Johan and Willmote (these girls were twins). John died as a child of 13 years. William and Thomas lived at Bishops Nympton and Hugh lived at Landkey in their adult married lives. Thomas married Christian (unknown) but not at Bishops Nympton and I have not yet located that marriage. They appeared to have just two children Mary who died as an infant and John who married Catharine Bryer 3 Nov 1732 at Bishops Nympton. I was able to trace down the second son William and third son Thomas  who lived at Bishops Nympton and one daughter who also married at Bishops Nympton - in true one-namer fashion I have not traced their children. The researcher who wrote to me was able to fill in the line that I was missing coming down from Thomas the third son. The spelling Pincumbe was adopted in the 1800s and so they disappeared from my view and possibly they did go to the American colonies at some point perhaps before or after the Revolutionary War. 

Testing at Ancestry is interesting. You of course do not have any chromosome matching unless the results are taken into another database by the tester. However with the results of five siblings I can tell with some matches where the match is especially if one of the siblings has just a small match and then it is limited to just one chromosome. The much smaller matches tend to get ignored by me unless someone writes. I really do not look at anything less than 20 cM for the most part although I do bear in mind that Ancestry's use of TIMBER (a software designed to eliminate "common" lengths of DNA that are related to ethnicity) does shrink up some of the results and I have several good examples where as much as 50% of the length disappears but I have to admit I do not particularly let that deter me from ignoring them unfortunately. If the individual matches more than two of us then I will take a longer look. My next work on the Pincombe/Pinkham conundrum will actually take me down that route. 

Cleaning awaits; I get easily distracted for sure.

No comments: