Friday, March 17, 2023

Interesting Reflection on Lent without Borders today - Love as a measure of time

A cousin pushing me to write a profile on my Pincombe family and the introduction of DNA to genealogy brought me into the idea of Surname Research along with 42 courses at the National Institute of Genealogical Studies. My husband Edward had done genealogy all of our married life and before as he talked about it before we were married. I always found my parent's surnames interesting but not enough to research them beyond looking once or twice at a surname book in the library in my early teen years. But becoming involved in the course work led to paleography and the transcription of ancient documents. That suited my brain very well. My brain loves to organize and be very mathematical in my approach to any particular problem or learning or project. Hence my project to transcribe all of the Blake wills was born and I have done around 800 Blake alone and perhaps another 3 or 4 hundred other wills over the course of the last eighteen years. For me that is my gift back to the Church which created those documents centuries ago in the British Isles. Surprisingly others have benefited from all of that transcription as my viewers in other parts of the world remains very high and quite often it is those wills that are being looked at and in such a didactic way that I rather think people are learning to transcribe old/middle English from those transcriptions. Partly because of some of the areas where they are most heavily looked at gives me that idea since the presence of most of my surnames would be rather low in those areas. There is a job to be done in transcription and plenty more to do for sure. 

I continued with Siderfin yesterday looking at the 2424 hits on Find My Past. I am now up to Page 24 and probably there are three or four on every page that require me to do some research to figure out who they are and how they fit in because I do not have them in my Siderfin one-name study tree which I created in 2010. in total that is 121.2 pages of hits so I am 1/5th of the way through. I have taken that tree off of the web now because it has a few errors in it which must be corrected before returning it to the web.  The tree now has 1050 individuals with 335 families so is a substantial one and has grown somewhat over the past few months. A lot of the hits continue to be census which I have looked at although I do need to regard them to make sure that is the case. 

I am now convinced that my line coming down from Robert Siderfin and Elizabeth (Question) Siderfin is descendant of John Siderfin (baptized at Minehead in 1619) and his wife Thomasine (unknown) Siderfin. This John was the son of Robert 4 (Robert 3, William 2, John 1) so this line is now firmly linked back to the first Siderfin of modern time (i.e. living at Luxborough circa 1500). It is the line that appears to have carried Siderfin into the 21st century as all other lines coming down appear to have daughtered out. An interesting and colourful family from the Luxborough area of Somerset spreading all around the world into this century. James Sanders thought they were Dutch or Italian and his earliest record was for a Robto-de-Sidernefenne on the Hundred Rolls of Somerset, taken circa 1274-5 and commissioned by Edward I of England. 

Thus far I have not found any of the other lines but I have not yet gone through the land records and that will be something to look at eventually. Blogging this will hopefully over time make this information available until I actually do complete the *.pdf of the revision. 

Another day on the 2424 hits on Find My Past after Breakfast.

No comments: