Monday, July 3, 2023

An interesting will that I had not yet transcribed

Looking about in the Archival records at Somerset and the National Archives of the UK I discovered that I had forgotten to transcribe the will of Robert Siderfin (of Croydon) probated in 1721. I decided to work at that and noted in that quick look that one of the witnesses was Augustin Siderfin and these two men would be 1st cousins twice removed. Why did he choose Augustin Siderfin who was then 29 years of age?  Perhaps because he was a school teacher and his father (still living) may have asked him to sign as a witness instead of Robert himself who by then would have been 61 years of age and perhaps not able to make the trip to his cousin's home at Croydon (Robert (father of Augustin) lived at Selworthy). Walter Siderfin was still alive at Timberscombe at this time and a first cousin three times removed. It is an interesting happening actually. Since both Robert, the testator, and his brother Thomas were heavily in debt when they died there could be reasons for Walter to not become involved; no ideas on that. But it is rather interesting that Robert, the testator, did call upon Augustin Siderfin (third son of Robert and Elizabeth (Question) Siderfin) to witness his will. 

A search of the archival records brought something forward that was also rather interesting. I found a record for a Robert Syderfin and Ursula his wife. I probably did not do the search with the y in the first i position or I just did not see the significance of the record earlier. This is from 1653 and includes John Syderfin (no wife mentioned). The property was in Timberscombe. In 1653 Robert 5 (William 4, Robert 3, William 2, John 1) was/would soon be married to an Elizabeth (unknown). In 1653 Robert 4 (Robert 3, William 2, John 1) would be 66 years of age (he married Ursula Webber when he was 24 years of age). His son John would be 34 years of age and in that Thomasine was buried in 1709 I do suspect that John likely married late with their (John and Thomasine) son Robert being baptized in 1658. I am curious now if the burial in 1636 was the older son of Robert at Minehead rather than Robert married to Ursula and the John with them in the query would be their then only son John. It does raise a few questions although I will continue to stick with the idea that it was Robert the son of William who was father to Robert at East Linch and Walter at Timberscombe (as this line tended to use the designation of Robert the Elder and Robert the Younger). This family was generally at Minehead (Robert, Ursula and their three children). Why they are involved in property in Timberscombe is a mystery and I will attempt to learn more about this particular property. It is known that Robert of East Linch and Robert of  Timberscombe were the children of Robert and Elizabeth (likely Blackford) Siderfin who buried their two sons at Selworthy (Robert and Walter) in 1714 and 1731 respectively. Robert and Ursula were being required to make an answer to some complaint by Alexander Francke in the Court of Chancery and it may overall have nothing to do particularly with the property at Timberscombe occupied later by Walter. It is tempting to purchase the item though so may pursue that. Family details in an answer might be very interesting. In that same year Alexander Francke was plaintiff in a case that involved Thomas Siderfin and others - property in East Lincke in Timberscombe, again an answer. There are also two Francke wills that could be interesting - one in 1584 and one in 1637. I had not really expected to find so much interesting material and should not have overlooked Syderfin. Most of the material does not assist me with individual items that I am looking at. The only really interesting one was with Robert and Ursula. If Robert (born 1616 at Minehead) is the Robert deceased in 1636 and buried at Luxborough then this document does become very interesting and there would just be the son John still living from this Robert-Line (in the 1640s) which is in fact what James Sanders indicated. The other interesting item is that the Siderfin family from which I descend (namely from Selworthy and the Robert Siderfin and Elizabeth (Question) Siderfin line did have property at Minehead (near Bratton) where they lived (some of the adult children of Robert Siderfin and Grace (Kent) Siderfin lived there including Elizabeth (Siderfin) Rew (my 3x great grandmother) and her family. 

So very interesting and I may order that document from the National Archives. I am settled with my thoughts on these generations and will just finish up with moving the various items that belong to the particular generations that James Sanders had in his book. If there are any surprises the changes would be relatively easy. I did complete the transcription of the will of Robert Siderfin of Croyden. No surprises in that will as he, like his older brother Thomas, were known to have died deeply in debt and his widow refused to administer the estate. He does not mention a daughter Elizabeth which is telling one might think.

Recorded: 2 Jul 2023
Source: National Archives, UK, PROB 11/580/280
Place: Croyden, Somerset
Type of Record: Will
Dated: 14 Jun 1715, Probated 22 Jun 1721
Tm: Roberti Siderfin

1    In the Name of God Amen
2    I Robert Siderfin of Croyden in the County of Somerset Esq[uir]e do whilst I have an
3    opportunity and am (praised be God) of sound and disposing mind and memory
4    hereby revoak all former Will and Wills whatsoever by me already made and
5    do declare the same to be null and void to all intents constructions and
6    purposes whatsoever and do make publish and declare this my last Will
7    and Testament in manner and form following that is to say in the first
8    place I commend my Soul into the hands of God who gave it hopeing
9    thro the merits and mediation of Jesus Christ my Saviour and Redeemer
10    to obtain Eternall Salvation and my body I desire may receive a decent
11    interment at the discretion of my Executrix herein after named and as
12    touching such worldly Estate and Goods as God in his mercy hath blessed
13    me with and are now in my own disposall I Give devise and Bequeath
14    the same in manner and form following Viz [a vi]t Imprimis I do Will and
15    appoint that all my just debts shall be discharged and satisfied and do
16    hereby Charge all my Estate both reall and personall with the payment
17    of the same Item whereas on my marriage with Ann my third Wife
18    the daughter of Sir John Wittewrong of Rowthemstead in the County
19    of Hertford Barr[iste]r I obliged myself to pay the Sum of one thousand
20    pounds unto such Child Children or Grandchildren of the said Sir John
21    Wittewrong as I and the said Ann my late Wife of the survivor of us
22    should appoint now I do hereby give and Bequeath unto Ellen the
23    daughter of Samuel Gibbs of Horsley Park in the County of Essex Esq[uir]e
24    and now or late Wife of John Cook of Swifts near Cranbrook  in the same
25    County Esq[uir]e the Sum of four hundred pounds part of the said one thousand
26    pounds Item I Give and Bequeath unto the said Samuel Gibbs and
27    John Cooke the Sum of three hundred pounds other part of the said
28    one thousand pounds In Trust that they and the Survivor of them his
29    Executors and Assigns shall putt and place out the same at Interest
30    on the best securitys they can procur for the same and shall pay and
31    dispose of the Interest thereof from time to time to and for the sole
32    and separate use of Mary Crompton Grandaughter of the said Sir
33    John Wittewrong and now Wife of John Crompton late of Cheapsyde
34    London for the Term of her naturall life so as that her said husband John
35    Crompton shall not intermeddle or have any thing to bother with
36    after her death It is my Will that the said three hundred pounds shall be paid
37    and equally divided unto and amongst the three children of her the said
38    Mary Crompton that now live with her share and share alike Item I
39    Give unto the three children of the eldest daughter of James Wittewrong
40    Of Lincolnes Inn in the County of Middlesex Esq[uir]e by Thomas Bennett
41    late husband the Sum of Fifty pounds apiece of her parcel of the said one
42    thousand pounds Item I give unto all the Children that are now living
43    of Ellen the Wife of Henry Foxcroft of Calcott in the County of South[amp]ton
44    England the daughter of the said James Wittewrong the Sum of one
45    hundred and fifty pounds residue of the said one thousand pounds to be
46    equally divided between them share and share alike all which and several
47    Legacies making up the said one thousand pounds shall be paid unto the
48    respective persons to whom the same are hereinbefore given at such
49    time as is directed and appointed in and by the marriage Settlement before
50    made on my marriage with the said Anne my late Wife as aforesaid
51    Item I give unto the poor of the parish of Carhampton the Sum of five
52    pounds to be distributed amongst them by my Executrix hereinafter
53    named Within one Month next after my decease Item I give unto my
54    two Nephews James Darch and Philip Darch the Sum of one hundred
55    pounds apeice to be paid unto them within one year after my decease
56    or as soon after as the same can be raised by Sale of my Lands apointed
57    for payment of my debts with Interest for the same to be accounted
58    from the end of one year after my death in case the said Legacyes shall
59    not be raised and paid before that time Item I Give devise and bequeath
60    unto Elizabeth my now Wife her heirs and Assigns for ever all and every
61    my Mannors Messuages Lands Tenements and hereditaments w[hat]soever
62    scituate and being within the Countys of Somerset and Devon or either
63    of them or elsewhere within the Kingdom of great Britain subject
64    Nevertheless unto and chargeable with the payment of my just debts and
65    Legacyes hereby given that my personall Estate will not be sufficient to
66    answer and pay Item I Give unto each and every Servant that shall be
67    living with me in house at the time of my decease the sum of forty shillings
68    apiece to be paid unto them respectively within one Year after my death
69    Item all the rest and residue of my Lands tenements Goods Chattells reall
70    personal and Testamentary Estate whatsoever not herein before given
71    or bequeathed I Give Devise and Bequeath unto the said Elizabeth my dear
72    Wife whom I make constitute and appoint whole and sole Executrix of
73    this my last Will and Testament In Witness whereof I have to this my
74    Will contained in two Sheets of paper to each Sheet subscribed and sett
75    my hand and Seal the fourteenth day of June in the first year of the raigne
76    of our Soveraign Lord George by the grace of God King of great Britain
77    France and Ireland defender of the Faith etc anno domini 1715 Rob Siderfin
78    Signed Sealed Published and declared by the said Robert Siderfin to be his
79    Last Will and Testament in the presence of us who subscribed our names as
80    Witnesses thereto in the presence of him the said Testator Jo: Wyatt Sam.
81    _land Ben: Bowden Augustin Siderfin
82    Vicesimo secondo die Mensis Junij Anno domino
83    millesimo septingentesimo vicesimo primo Emanavit Comisso Roberto
84    Darch Creditor principal Roberti Siderfin nuper de Croyden in Comitati
85    Somersetia armigen defuncti habentis etc ad administrandium bona
84    iura  et credita dicti defuncti juxta tenorum et effectum Testamenti
85    ipsius defuncti pro quod  Elizabetha Siderfin Relicta dicta defuncti Executrix
86    inura et Legatario residuarius in dicto Testamento nominat onus
87    executionis ejusdem expresse renunciante de bene et fideliter Administrando
88    eadem ad Sancta dei Evangelia vigore Commissionis Jurat

I will likely add this will transcription to the book as it is rather interesting. I do get a hint of irony reading the will. Robert and his wife Ann did not have any children although the marriage was a fairly long one and one is left with the impression that it was a happy marriage. Perhaps his desire to pay the one thousand pounds was most genuine and I have no idea if sufficient funds were found by his Darch nephews to do so. It was a shame that he did not record information on the Siderfin Family in the will - perhaps saying something about Augustin Siderfin who traveled to witness the will for his first cousin twice removed. Robert Darch administered the will and there will be more about his handling of the estate as all of that information was collected and published by James Sanders. 

Invoice for the will of Robert Siderfin the Elder to be extracted from the land records and scanned paid. It may be a while as they have a large queue but I have a lot of work to do and it will be a queue for the land record that includes Robert and Ursula Siderfin and John which I will likely order today. If they do support my hypothesis I may just make a notation unless the will is very interesting in which case I would seek permission to publish the transcription. The Somerset Archives search engine is excellent and very straight forward to use - the records are very well organized.

Read the Church Service and sang the hymns and it reminds me of doing so all through COVID before the You-Tube services began. I did think about going online and finding a different service but I rather enjoyed the trip down memory lane of doing the service by myself - what is between God and you is a treasured moment in time for each and every person. Our commitment is life-long to God as all that is asked of us is to love God with all our heart, all our soul, all our mind and all our strength and to love our neighbour as ourself. In return for God's gifts to us through the ages it is very little to ask of us. 

May peace come to the world once again. Glory to Ukraine.

No comments: