Monday, July 31, 2023

Sorting continues

We are working on projects these days as we sort through Edward's research boxes. He scanned an enormous amount of his material in the last couple of years before he passed away making it much easier to shred that material. He would likely have shredded it himself but he found the dust from shredding was bothering him. I have another box of shredding to do over the next little while. But we are reaching the end of that I rather think. Most of what is left are original family pictures and we need to find homes for them closer to where the bulk of the people live who descend from these people. Already thinking of two projects for next summer - accumulating the Kipp material of original images and checking to see whether the BC Archives (most of the material is for the Kipp family of Chilliwack who were amongst the early settlers in that area from Upper Canada) and the Folkins, Parlee, Allen families who were from New Brunswick so will prepare that set of original images for the NB  Archives to see if they would like to have that material. Gradually we are doing the work that he wanted done with his material. Found more material for the Princeton Museum. This again is original material and it was in a box labeled Princeton Museum but that was inside another box so only just now unearthed. 

Lovely service yesterday although I again missed the Sermon as it is not on YouTube in the summer. I could have sought out other channels but did not do so. Perhaps next summer I will do that but I am enjoying the trip down memory lane as I relive those early days of the Pandemic shutdown when we received the Sunday Bulletin in our email and just read and sang the service by myself. 

Cleaning day today and decided to do the work on the research boxes to take advantage then of the regular cleaning on Monday to eliminate the dust that results from going through old papers. We did the closet in my workroom yesterday as Edward had gradually filled that with boxes of his research. I continue with just one large box of paper as I have tried to stick to electronic only if that is possible but I have accumulated some paper which I shall gradually eliminate over the next few years. It is all scanned so easily done actually. George DeKay who managed to get me to do the Pincombe Profile for the Western Township History Book had so much material in his house when I was first there that I made that decision early on to have electronic and for the most part that has been possible. Edward already had so much material and my interest was really in the surname itself and working my way backwards in time as far as I could reach and as it turns out with an English surname one can get back quite aways especially if you have verbal family stories to help in the trek backwards. Plus my people came late compared to Edward's people who were here from 1620s on and mostly all here by the early 1700s. He has only a few emigrant ancestors after the early 1700s. My earliest arrivals were 1818 and then the next 1832ish, then 1850, followed by 1908 and then my father and his parents in 1913. So I am a newbie (first generation Canadian on my father's side) and fourth generation on my mother's side going back from her father to his mother. All the rest were born in England.

No work on Siderfin yesterday other than a sort spate which completed the eighth generation in terms of compacting the text from my Legacy file. I need to go in and reference everything now and add in details that James Sanders had in his book along with details that I have acquired. Will finish off the seventh generation when I acquire the document from the National Archives of the UK (likely by the middle of the month). For the most part the seventh generation is complete. I suspect that I will move quickly through the next three generations - 9th to 12th. It will end with the 12th as that is my mother's generation and she was born in the early 1900s. I will keep up the 100 year anonymity rule that we practise in Canada. Most people do know their grandparents and it will be easy to work oneself back to that in the book. It was my 3x great grandmother that was in James Sanders book but with the will of the husband of my 3x great grandmother I was able to link to my 2x great grandmother known to me as my mother had all of that research. 

Looking forward to peace as it does seem once again to be within the grasp of the United Nations. The slow methodical clawback by Ukraine of their territory is resulting in fewer deaths it would appear all around although injuries are still horrific - Russia has mined the fields - a barbaric act for sure. But God will judge not man and we will move back towards that uplifted plain of peace where all peoples of the earth walk as equals. Russia's threats of nuclear bombs reminds me that this is God's world and we but one species upon it. We must not permit imperialistic bullies to take away people's freedom; the right of a sovereign nation to exist. We are a God-loving, God-fearing people in the Western Hemisphere; God's love is always there but God's retribution can be very fierce and final. 

6:00 a.m. and it is humid and 14 degrees celsius. Rain again today and the greenery is lovely even if some of it is weeds. As a child I loved our backyard with its abundant dandelions, daisies and other wild flowers. That was after my grandfather passed away as he gardened a large part of that yard when he was living. Whenever I was out there I could sense his presence in that yard where he spent so much time when I was a child and he was living with us. When the clouds rolled over I would remember that they kept rolling on and on towards Upper Clatford where he lived as a boy. The memories that grandparents pass to grandchildren can be quite wonderful when one is young. My grandfather died when I was just eight years of age but I do have all those years of memories enjoyed. 

Tea time and Jumping Jacks. Unplugged one of my ears that had a mosquito in it which then filled with wax. Pumped that out this morning. I do hate it when mosquitoes go into the ears. Lovely walk on the beach yesterday early evening. The parking lot was only about 1/5 full so lots of room; no need to crowd. The dog days of August approach and the nights continue to shorten.


No comments: