Thursday, July 27, 2023

Transcribed and updated

This morning is grey and rainy and we have had another good rain overnight. The wind is blowing gently in the trees and the shorter day is making itself felt now. We are approaching August and the end of the summer and gardening mostly thank goodness. Gardening is not really my thing although the produce is very nice for sure. My daughter has found the gardening perhaps too busy this summer working on her research. 

I transcribed the five pages yesterday received from the Somerset Archives and it flowed pretty much as I had developed my theory of just who Robert Siderfin leaving his will in 1688 was. That part has now been revised in the book and today I received a verification of the page that I requested from the National Archives. The answer is just one page and may or may not have many details but mostly it will let me see that the Robert Siderfin alive in 1653 with wife Ursula was the Robert Siderfin born in 1587 and not his son born in 1616. I had thought that Robert died in 1636 but it does appear that it was his eldest son who has died and John Siderfin is still living. Why I do not see this John Siderfin in the records is somewhat peculiar but I will look again just to see if I have missed anything. But in general this John lived at Selworthy, likely married Thomasine unknown and was the father of Robert Siderfin baptized in 1658 at Selworthy and the only Siderfin male in the Robert-Line coming down from Robert 4 (Robert 3, William 2, John 1). He may possibly be the only descendant of that line with both his older sister Wilmot and his older brother Robert not leaving any descendants as far as I can tell at this point in time. 

Today I continue the Seventh Generation as there is a little rewriting to do there and once I have the new document I can close the chapter and on to Generation Eight although it is already begun and if I have time may work on it as well today.

I must remember to post the Kip-Kipp Newsletter on the 1st of August. This will likely be the last longish one as I have completed the children of the emigrant Hendrick Hendricksen  known as Hendrick Hendricksen Kip in New Amsterdam. 

The wind is still in the trees moving softly outside of my window. God is in the Heavens ever watching and ever waiting for mankind to do the right thing. Find peace; follow the new commandments - Love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength and love our neighbour as ourself. That is the path to peace and Russia has broken that path with their illegal invasion of Ukraine. The school yard bully and Nazi Putin and his enablers are spoiling the world for everyone actually; one can no longer close the drawbridge and ignore the world. Their greed knows no bounds as they destroy the peace brought to us by the United Nations. Greed does lurk everywhere though and we must find a way to put greed into the past and make this a better world for the grandchildren and great grandchildren to be. They deserve a better world than we are handing them.

Tea is ready and solitaire games to be played. On to the day.  

Interesting article on Ancient courtship: DNA reveals how Stone Age women left home for love. by Joseph Brean. He refers to a recent paper published in Nature: "Extensive pedigrees reveal the social organization of a Neolithic community." These graves will yield much material I rather think. It is one of the things I really like about Ancestry DNA. Although no actual data is available it is the Shared Matches that lead on backwards in time to the Common ancestors and surprisingly in the Siderfin family I have many many matches all around the globe. I think there are some lengths of chromosome that simply survive generation after generation giving unexpected larger matches than anticipated. Although this is in recent time one wonders if these ancient graves will eventually yield up lengths of chromosome that exist and remain intact through the centuries. Time will tell and it is good to see more and more articles on DNA and ancient graves. But the sheer size of the database at Ancestry does let one investigate into those matches and have a good look at how this DNA has moved through the family and around the world. Having the DNA of four of my six siblings on Ancestry has been an eye opener. 

Must get breakfast, the morning is passing already 9:25 a.m.

 

No comments: