Sunday, October 22, 2023

The Siderfin book continues to move forward

Much of the work that I did on the Siderfin family was before 2011. The databases which I used were still in their infancy and as I work my way through the data I need to look up most of them to see what has been gathered in over the last dozen years. I would have wanted to review anyway but the twelve years away has resulted in so much more material being available. The American Siderfin family of one of the lines daughtered out early in the 20th century. I am not sure if there are others as it would require me to take a different course right now and look up the American census but it is probably easier just to follow the flow as I work my way through the 11th generation of the Siderfin family. The spelling is rather erratic during the census period but does clear up as one approaches the twentieth century to a certain extent. However my stopping point is 1920 or thereabouts. If it makes sense to go into 1920s I will but for the most part lines will end with the birth of children in the late 19th and early twentieth century which includes my mother born in 1916. By then the Siderfin line was her 2x great grandmother so a fair distance back and no Siderfin cousins were known to her as far as I know. She never mentioned that surname in her twenty five years of letters. I am not that inclined to keep a lot of things but the letters from my mother were my link back to my childhood and so I have kept every one of them from the first one received in early May of 1975 which she wrote on the day that we left to come to our new home here. The last one was just after we arrived back from my Pilgrimage to Rome - Vatican City to be exact -  (my oldest daughter and myself) and the Consecration of the new ECUSA Bishop of Europe at St Paul within the wall Basilica. The worldwide Anglican online group had been invited by the soon to be Bishop of Europe a member of our group and a number of us did accept from around the world. We stayed at a Monastery near the Vatican. Of all the trips I ever have taken it is the one that had the most meaning for me deep in my soul. I enjoyed all the others but this one fulfilled my soul. I did try to persuade Edward to come but flying over the ocean was not on his bucket list in those days not from the time I first knew him. He was happy on this side of the Atlantic but that would change and one of his regrets was not going much sooner and much oftener! But as I said to him at least you finally went to see the other half of the world but there was so much still to see in his mind but now it is all there before him I am sure.

But I digress and I continue working my way forward with the Siderfin book. Once I have done all the lines coming down from Robert Siderfin and Elizabeth Question Siderfin except for Thomas I move to the excellent work sent to me by my correspondent of that family line. Thomas was the youngest in that generation and I did gather up the information that I could find and for the most part I did not too badly but the reinforcement of her research has made that an easier task. 

Church by myself today, not on You-Tube this week. I actually enjoy reading the entire service myself out loud but do miss the organ and the sermons. They are a good pause for thought during a busy work week. I do remember I am retired but I think I am a workaholic who will never truly give up working until it is time for me to join the ages that have gone before me. There are so many ways I can keep on working through these years. When one door closes another opens has always been my philosophy of life. God is always there in the heavens wanting us to do better; some of us do not listen unfortunately for the rest of us. Glory to Ukraine. Glory to Israel and may the Palestinians find the kind of peace that they should have if only the vipers in their midst would stop hating Israel.

Tea drank, jumping jacks done and breakfast is next.


 

No comments: