Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Knight family

More queries coming to my inbox and this time it was the Knight family. This is a huge family and I have Pedigree Collapse in this line. My 3x great grandparents Ellis Knight and Eleanor Knight were 2nd cousins. They had 13 children and three of those children married three siblings of another family resulting in a huge number of double first cousins most of whom did marry outside of this double cousin group. My line comes down from the son of Ellis and Eleanor Knight - Samuel Knight who married Louisa Butt. I have 44 DNA matches on Thrulines at Ancestry. All of them are easily found in the family tree. But back to my query. I received a query on a Knight family at Barrie Ontario. Fortunately for me but not for the requester my Knight line only came to Saskatchewan as far as I know and they are descendants of the brother of my great grandmother Maria Jane Knight (her brother Samuel). Maria Jane Knight married Edward Blake. Hence I could not assist her and especially now I have little time to really sit at the family trees and search anyone out who doesn't immediately appear on a search.

All the Knight descendants in my line go back to William Knight and Sarah (Ellis) Knight and they had eight children (one son died young) and there were seven surviving sons (two of whom do not appear to have married or had children) and one surviving daughter. Eventually this Knight line appears to go back to Henry Knight and Mary Oliver who married 25 Dec 1727 at Spetisbury, DOR. They appear to have had fifteen children of whom only four survived to adulthood and I am descended from two of those sons William and David where William was the ancestor of Ellis Knight and David was the ancestor of Eleanor Knight.

In general I can not really help anyone with Knight ancestry unless it is very specific to the area that my Knight family lived in (i.e. around Blandford Dorset). This family did move within England with many going to Lancashire and some going to Hampshire but quite a few stayed in Dorset.

No comments: