Sunday, June 28, 2020

Online Church

Yesterdays newsletter from Christ Church Cathedral includes a link to today's online service. Wonderful news. I shall attend the service shortly. My Anglicanism is part of my soul but I want my Church to do more. To be more relevant in today's society. I do not want my Church to disappear. I have likely done everything that I am going to do as a volunteer at Church. Do I regret giving so many volunteer years to my husband's Church? I do not actually; I did it for my children so that they could understand Church and why it exists. I taught them at Sunday School for a few years during their formative years. Occasionally I erred and someone would immediately report that I had been using some style that was Anglican; did I do it on purpose? No it was unintentional but it did make me feel that I wasn't really welcomed. I could have said that my mother was raised United Church and my maternal grandmother and uncle were United Church but instead I said I was raised Anglican; I am proud of that. That my children are both Anglican in their thinking and outlook is a reflection of my raising them as Anglicans on the six days that they did not go to the United Church. Will they ever attend an Anglican Church in the future? I have no ideas on that really. If I asked them to go they would come with me but I never go so that isn't likely to happen. I will really love being part of the online service though and I will continue to tithe to the Anglican Church the rest of my life although the Roman Catholic Church has a strong draw for me but at nearly 75 years less likely unless I intended to go to Church in person once again. I will see how my Church evolves over the next five years and then I will make a decision.

My husband spent ten years as Treasurer at his United Church and almost twenty years in the Choir. He was a volunteer builder for the new Church. He did so many things there and he enjoyed being part of his Church. In the mid 1990s we went to a special service at Dominion Chalmers which had been mentioned in our bulletin. The minister there was also a religious scholar at the University. We were both quite interested in his sermons and from that time onward principally attended that Church until the minister retired. His sermons were a wonderful Sunday morning. Then we moved on to Christ Church Cathedral and have been there ever since. It is a long time since we attended the local United Church. I expect by now they have their mortgage paid off as I accidentally discovered that one of the members of the Church who told me that he had a life insurance policy in the amount of the mortgage died a few years ago. I just learned that recently. I used to go to the local Anglican Church for the early service (and then to Ed's Church for the later service) for a number of years; I grew up in large Anglican Churches and I never could get used to the very small Anglican Church here.

Yesterday I also planted another set of onions for green onions to come on in a few weeks. Green onions are a favourite in our household. We put them into so many dishes during the summer and than wait hungrily for them to come on again the next year! I could buy them but never do. They remind me of summer and I like to keep it that way; a treasured item to keep the seasons in place. Just like I never buy watermelon until they are in season here and raspberries are another one. I want to eat the items that are special to me that have been grown close to home.

Genealogy has faded away for a bit at the moment. I can not garner up enough time to sit and work at that. First I need some minutes for the thought process as I shift through the items that I need to work at and then I need to pull up my files and actually plan my couple of hours on genealogy and then I can begin.

No comments: