Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Continuing on in the vein of what to save

I have written my mother's story and it was surprisingly 285 pages long. I did insert portions of her letters into that story but the beginning was just what I remembered from my grandmother, mother and uncle Ed (brother to my mother). Towards the end of the 1980s my uncle Ed insisted that we drop by their home in Toronto whenever we went through Toronto on our way home. My uncle had been good to me as a child so found that really hard to refuse and we did endeavour to stop at least one of the ways through Toronto. After my uncle\s wife died we made an effort to go and see him monthly until he was taken ill and that was at the time of SARS in Toronto. I worked at the hospital here in Ottawa and would have had to be away from work for two weeks if I went to Toronto so did not go the last couple of months before he passed away. However I phoned him quite often and we wrote back and forth. He had put together an envelope full of pictures and other material that he wanted to go into his story. He was of a mind that my husband would write his story because Ed had written a story book for my parent's 50th wedding anniversary in 1988 (I helped a little). I have now written that story and I think he would be pleased. His story was 78 pages long. I knew some of his story and the records that he provided supplied quite a bit more. Since he did not have any children it was basically a story of his life in London.

What to do with all this material is a mystery. I have a box with the material that my uncle gave to me which is all scanned but I am finding it impossible to destroy the originals. He was a busy person in London; had his own store for years that I may ask if the London Public Library would create a Fonds for his records. It would not be that large but in years to come researchers may find it handy to understand the independent grocers who early on in London formed an association creating many many grocery stores that initially supplied the city until the larger companies took over.

It is something that I had planned to handle when we were to go to London last year but my fall resulted in our heading home much earlier than planned. Now it must be done by mail and I have not yet sat down and written those letters to see what I can put together along with the material that my sister has from my uncle's home as she completed the task of collecting material there.

No comments: