Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Vaccination and where are we at

 In one week worldwide there is an increase of only 1% receiving one dose and 0.9% fully vaccinated. The pace is too slow for the Delta virus moving at lightning speed. 

Yesterday top floor fully cleaned and this is a day of rest and the main floor on Wednesday. Fortunately we continue to live in our carriage home and did not buy a bigger house so at 75 I can still manage with help from my daughter. Although I do not need such a big footprint and will gradually minimize my footprint over time but at the moment all the exercise is good for me as I begin to move ahead through the grieving process and into the wonderful memory process that we all must achieve in order to continue living. I remember my uncle (he was 89) after his wife died. He tried very hard but on his own (this was during SARS) he simply did not have the strength to keep up his house and his health. He only outlived his wife by a few months. They were married for 61 years. We visited them on our many trips back and forth through Toronto. They enjoyed their time spent with our daughters and our daughters enjoyed meeting them. 

I have scanned all the material that my uncle gave to my husband thinking that he would write his life's story as my mother had told him about the Anniversary Book that Edward produced for my parent's 50th wedding anniversary. I did write his story and it was actually 78 pages using mostly his notes. Missing from that story is all the volunteer work that he did as a young man because I only know bits of it and he did not record all of that. He was also very involved with the Conservative Party even thinking about being a candidate although he decided not to do that after all but remained behind the scenes involved with the party all the time that he lived in London. He attended the Methodist Church later United Church of Canada and was heavily involved in the Church all his life. Can one ever really do tribute to those who have passed away ahead of us. I do wonder about that. We keep them alive with our writings and saving pictures and other items and with the modern tools can create files that can live on into the future. That is perhaps our best tribute to them. I have pictures of him through the years (I produced an image with nearly 30 of them that span infanthood to his wife's funeral). 

I am gradually realizing that I need to do the same for Edward and that will be my focus as winter comes and I have more time to work on that. I have his own words for parts of the story and there are music tapes of his solos sung at Church. He so loved to sing. I have some of his talks that he gave to the different groups. There is a little about his working life which I shall also add to the story. 

Another sunny hot day and I am still enjoying the heat but we also have air conditioning so I am not in it all the time which makes a big difference. I look forward to the cool days of autumn and the long winter when I can get so much more work done.


No comments: