Tuesday, November 1, 2011

50th Anniversary of the Ontario Genealogical Society and Family Stories

November 1st on my calendar reminded me that I have just two months to submit my family story to the anniversary collection of family histories at the Ontario Genealogical Society (OGS) in order to be part of their Golden Anniversary Collection.

http://www.ogs.on.ca/home/golden.php

I have published parts of my family stories in three different publications thus far and I will put these together along with corrections to the original Pincombe story published as a profile in the Delaware-Westminster History Book which has since been enhanced by further research, a few additions to the Routledge story published in Families (journal of the OGS) and the Blake family yDNA study published in Anglo Celtic Roots. Of course, my blog is chock full of family information!

My story in Canada though is a relatively short one but mirrored by many others with their long history of British ancestry. Our British ancestors moved to Canada like it was traveling from one county to another in their native country. There was no thought of leaving the British umbrella; Canada was just another part of their great country and they carried their enthusiasm and devotion to the mother country with them across the ocean. My grandfather lived and died an Englishman although he loved Canada too but his Canada was part of Britain.

When I complete the story I will also place it on my blog as a free standing page - my second one. My first free standing page is on the Guild of One-Name Studies. I originally joined this group early on in my research days. My initial look at the group was to find the Pincombe One-Name study which had been mentioned online by others but had actually terminated in the late 1990s. In trying to find it on the Guild pages I discovered that it had been archived at the Society of Genealogists in London, England and my cousin went there and retrieved all the information thus deposited and had it photographed and mailed off to me (eight bristol board sized charts) and together we worked out our mutual ancestry (which was incorrect on the charts) and she published her family line in England almost at the same time as the Pincombe profile appeared here in the Delaware-Westminster History Book. We exchanged publications and write back and forth a few times a year now.

Perhaps later today I will complete the transcription of the last Pincombe will in my cache - Elizabeth Pincombe. I haven't read the will yet and do not know anything about this Pincombe line unless they are in the earlier charts. Although I have found errors in the charts I continue to use them because they were prepared by the Guild member in England talking to people who lived in these particular places. Family lore also plays a strong part in genealogical research so I am ever mindful that flat pages can not tell me the story as well as the spoken word of descendants (even though they could be in error especially when they are talking about lines of the family that are only remotely related to them and the stories are already a couple of generations passed on to them). If I have to go back later and correct because of new information that I find then that just adds to the story rather than detracting from it is my thought in that regard. Why did they think they were more closely related or less so? Probably there were many reasons!

Amazingly, the yellow daisies which my husband gave me for Mother's Day are still blooming as their second blossoming. I popped the plant into the ground late in May and didn't really expect anything but buds formed towards the end of September and still it blooms an amazing host of yellow flowers on November 1st. Most of the other plants have now been nipped by frost but this yellow flower continues to bloom. Such bright yellow in the midst of brown and dull green colours that tell us winter is coming. A real treat for the eyes whenever one chances to glance out the windows facing the rear yard.

Back to the story of my ancestors for the OGS Golden Anniversary Collection, you need to print it but can also send it as an electronic version by 31st December 2011.

No comments: