Friday, October 16, 2020

New mtDNA match at FT DNA

 Although the email that both Doug and I had a new mtDNA at FT DNA does not usually prove to be a very close one, it was a very pleasant memory to receive that notice today. Doug is often in my thoughts and he will forever be part of my life because we shared this interest in DNA. He had his own reasons for wanting to learn more about our ancient Blake ancestor. I was always sorry that I couldn't find definitive proof on our Blake line prior to the mid 1400s. I did share with him that a Richard Blake had come from Ireland to Salisbury in 1425 according to the Patent Rolls. Interesting that our furtherest back ancestor was likely Robert Blake of Knights Enham, Hampshire and one of his sons was Richard Blake. Robert was likely born in the 1430s to 1440s and the coincidence is amazing really. 

We traveled (Edward and I) the roads from Salisbury to Andover area and the distance is 37 kilometres. That is a short distance by car for sure but a long distance unless you happen to be riding a horse. Walking would take a few hours but certainly doable. Was the Richard Blake who arrived in Salisbury in 1425 from Ireland the father of Robert Blake of Knights Enham? Still looking for that detail!

But I must admit it was a warm fuzzy feeling to find myself thinking once again about Doug and our discussions on the Blake family. He is with our parents now and our grandparents; he will be happy there. Life was becoming a struggle for him and sickness overcame him. I shall miss him but I have been so rewarded by having had him tested at all these companies. He will always be with me.

No comments: