Friday, October 23, 2020

The Gospel Reading Matthew 6: 22-34

Verse 34 caught my eye today in the Bible Reading - the one I receive from the Canadian Bible Society is from the Contemporary English Version and reads "Don't worry about tomorrow. It will take care of itself. You have enough to worry about today." From my Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition we read "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day." It is interesting reading all the different versions of the Bible although my preference remains for the Revised Standard Version. The language in it reminds me of my own grandparents as English has changed even in my lifetime.

In these days of COVID-19 is there perhaps a message for us in those words. It really is necessary for us to concentrate on today; on everyone wearing a mask and washing their hands and keeping a two metre distance. We need to defeat COVID-19 as much as we can as we wait for a vaccine to defeat it.

No comments: