Sunday, February 27, 2022

Pincombe-Pinkham Newsletter complete

 I managed to complete the Pincombe-Pinkham Newsletter yesterday even with four children running around me and dragging me into their play on occasion. I knew what I wanted to write though by yesterday and it just flowed out of my fingers. 

Back to the Siderfin Book today and I am really keen to see that project continuing to grow. The Newsletter gave me a few ideas actually on layout that I hadn't considered. 

I am still rebuilding the third generation of the Pedigree Chart - the children of Robert and Christian Siderfin and the children of William and Jone (Siderfin) Westeron. I did not find any children from the marriage of George Escott and Christian Siderfin thus far (the children of John Siderfin being William Sidervin married to Wilmot Foster and Christian Siderfin married to George Escott. I did do a little sleuthing about to see if I could discover children for the Escott-Siderfin marriage mostly because there was a will written by Grace (Trill) Escott leaving her husband Thomas Escott's estate (deceased) to the brother John Siderfin of my 3x great grandmother (son of Robert Siderfin and Grace Kent) with his sisters Mary, Betty (my ancestor), Grace and Joanna as joint tenants. That is the Eighth generation of the Siderfin family and this is the second generation when Christian Siderfin married George Escott. It has always been a puzzle to me why Grace (Trill) Escott left all of this property to this particular branch of the Siderfin family. Any child of George and Christian (Siderfin) Escott would be first cousins six times removed to my 3x great grandmother Elizabeth (Betty) Siderfin. Although of interest one of Elizabeth (Betty) Siderfin's sisters Ann married John Nurcombe and their daughter Mary Ann Nurcombe married Richard Escott who also lived at Wootton Courtney where my Siderfin family lived at that time. Richard was born circa 1800 and died December quarter 1846 in Williton Registration District. Richard and Mary Ann had married 16 Mar 1830 at Wootton Courtney. 

I believe I will investigate Richard Escott to see what I can learn about him (records following from Find My Past). 

A Richard Escott was born 23 Mar 1800 and baptized 28 Mar 1800 at Carhampton, Somerset son of Benjamin and Mary Escott. 

A Richard Escott was buried at Luccombe/Luckham, Somerset 29 Jan 1848 (said to be 46 years of age and hence born circa 1801).

Banns were read at Wootton Courtney between Richard Escott of Dunster and Mary Ann Newcombe of Wootton Courtney  28 Feb 1830

Marriage Registration for Richard Escott of Dunster and Mary Ann Nurcombe of Wootton Courtney 16 Mar 1830 with witnesses Robert Nurcombe and Betsey Nurcombe. Mary Ann's parents were John Nurcombe and Ann Siderfin with siblings Robert Nurcombe, Thomas Nurcombe and Betsey Nurcombe. 

A Benjamin Escott of Carhampton married Mary Paramore of Selworthy 6 May 1783. 

On the 1841 census at Luccombe/Luckham a Richd Escott 40 years, butcher born in the country with wife Mary Ann 30 years born in county and children Ann 10 years, John 7 years, Richard 6 years, Eliza 3 years and Robert 1 year all born in county. 

Discovering more about Benjamin is perhaps worthwhile and will spend a short time looking at that (family trees at Ancestry and My Heritage). I did found an excellent tree for this Escott branch which led me back to an Escott family of Burlescombe, Devon (Hugh Escott born circa 1590 Burlescombe and died 1642 Carhampton, Somerset). Interesting but inconclusive. The coincidence is amazing actually and why would Grace Escott have left everything to this particular branch of the Siderfin family? There is always the possibility of a relationship on her Trill family side since she was born a Trill.


No comments: