Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Siderfin generational study for the revision of James Sanders' book

 Yesterday I worked on the first two generations of the Siderfin Family of Luxborough Somerset. It is going to work well to do the revision in this way. It incorporates all of James Sanders' work in almost the exact same order as he published it back in 1910. There will be a couple of changes in order but mostly it continues in the same order. 

It also gets the research that I did between 2005 and 2010 into a format that will let me post it on my blog and let people be aware of what I have found. I am sure there is more information to find and gradually as the amount of material that Kew has scanned increased from under 5% to 100% there will likely be a lot more material to look at. 

As I look at so many old books, it is like looking at trees. Trees live so much longer than homo sapiens. If they could talk they could tell stories in time but with the publication of books this has become possible through the printed word. Really amazing when you think about it. Now with e-books we have added that element to the publishing of lifetimes of the human race. Plus there can be so much more published; that is the gift of the internet. 

I narrowed in on Siderfin back in 2005 because I finally found that the 3x great grandmother that I was looking for was namely Elizabeth Siderfin. Since I was writing a Pincombe profile for the Westminster Township History book for my cousin George Dekay I wanted to have as much information in the book as I could. At that point in time I did know all of the 3x great grandparents in the Pincombe lines going back from my mother except for Elizabeth the wife of John Rew. Finding the Siderfin line was amazing. It required a great deal of sleuthing which I had learned in my courses at the National Institute for Genealogical Studies.

No comments: