Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Will of John Blake, yeoman, of Lanreth, Cornwall - The National Archives PROB 11/231/346, probated 22 Jun 1653

John Blake the testator is the husband of Johane Blake whose will was blogged yesterday. Good fortune with this set of wills as John identifies similar people although again does not clearly say how he is related to some of them. Fortunately putting the wills together gives a slightly clearer picture of this Blake family at Lanreath.

He does mention Henry Blake who also lived at Lanreath in this time period and was married to Lowdye Helman 15 Jun 1619. He also mentions a Jonathan Blake although does not identify either of these men as his brothers. Jonathan Blake has a son John. Henry Blake has children: Charity, Joane, John, and Jonathan. He also mentions a White family, a Caren family and the children of his sister Watson. Also the Heare family, the Cowling, Collin[g] family and the Wilcock family.

John Cowling is known to be his nephew from his wife's will. Does he mention sister Watson because she is deceased and he is remembering her children?

From the LDS there was a John Blake baptized 20 Nov 1568 son of Thomas Blake. Also, relating to the will there was a John Blake son of Jonathan Blake baptized 17 Sep 1619 also at |Lanreath.

There are a number of children baptized by John Blake at Lanreath on the IGI:

William baptized 9 Nov 1567
Henry baptized 18 Mar 1569
Elizabeth baptized 29 Oct 1572

A little information on this Blake family but can not yet link them altogether; perhaps later wills will assist.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 28 May 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/231/346
Testator:  John Blake, yeoman
Place: Lanreath, Cornwall, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 27 Oct 1646 , probated 22 Jun 1653
Condition: 17th century English, legible copy

[Top]: The xxviii day of October Anno Dom[ini] 1646
[Margin]: The Will of John
[Margin]: Blake

1
In the Name of God Amen I John Blake of
2
the Parish of Lanreth in the County of Cornewall yeoman being
3
sick of Body but sounde and perfect in minde and memory doe hereby
4
make and ordaine this my last Will and Testament in manner and
5
forme following First of all I doe give and bequeath my Soule unto Almighty
6
God and my Body unto Christian Buriall Item I give to the poore of the
7
Parish of Lanreth the summe of Twenty shillings Item I give to John
8
Blake the Sonne of Jonathon the Summe of five pounds Item I give to
9
Charity Blake the daughter of Henry Blake the summe five pounds
10
Item I give to Joane Blake the daughter of Henry Blake the sume of
11
five poundes Item I give to John Blake the sonne of Henry Blake the
12
summe of Twenty shillings Item I give Jonathan Blake the sonne
13
of Henry Blake the summe of Twenty shillings Item I give to Densill
14
White the somme of Twenty shillings Item I give to Bennett White the
15
summe of Twenty shillings Item I give to Richard White the summe of
16
Twenty shillings Item I give to Elizabeth Caren the Wife of Richard Caren
17
the summe of Forty shillings. Item I give to Thomas Heare the summe
18
of Twenty shillings Item I give to Richard Heare the somme of Twenty
19
shillings Item I give to Henry Heare the summe of Twenty shillings
20
Item I give to William Heare the summe of Twenty shillings Item
21
I give to each of my Sister Watsons children Tenn shillings a peece
22
Item I give to John Cowling the sonne of John Cowling the summe of
23
the summe of Twenty shillings Item I give to William Colling the
24
the summe of forty pounds Item I give to George Colling One sheepe
25
Item I give to Thomas Wilcock One Sheepe Item all the rest of my
26
goods and chattells not given nor bequeathed I doe give and bequeath
27
them unto Johan Blake my Wife whome I doe make my whole
28
Executrix In witnes whereof I have hereunto sett my hande and seale
29
The day and yeare first above written Signum John Blake
31
Witnesse to this Will William Cary John Cowling sen

[Page 2]
32
This Will was proved at We[s]tm[inister] the Two and twentith of
33
June in the yeare of our Lord One Thousande six hundred fifty and
34
Three before the Judges for probate of Wills and graunting Administration
35
according to an Act of Parliament instituted an Act for probate of Wills
36
granting Administration by the Oath of Joahn Blake the Relict
37
and Sole Executrix to whome Administration was committed she being
38
first sworne by Commission truly to administer

No comments: