Monday, May 20, 2013

Will of Catharine Blake, widow, Launceston, Cornwall - The National Archives PROB 11/1583/135, probated 9 Aug 1816

Catharine Blake widow is the testator and lists her abode as Launceston, Cornwall. There is a marriage of Richard Blake and Catherine Gerry in 1761 in the Cornwall Parish Registers found on archive.org.  A researcher www.british-genealogy.com forum lists this marriage as 17 Feb 1762 (probably new style of dating) at St Mary Magdalene (Launceston). I also found this marriage on the OPC Launceston website http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=marriages&id=744717 Richard Blake and Catherine Gerry 17 Feb 1762.

I found the marriage of Catharine Blake to William Legg 24 Jan 1788 at Saint David, Exeter, Devon. There was a Cathrine Blake baptized 2 Feb 1766 at St Thomas the Apostle, Cornwall with parents Richard Blake and Cathrine.

There was an Ann Blake baptized 16 Oct 1771 at Launceston daughter of Richard Blake. There was an Ann Blake married to Joseph Street 25 Sep 1793 at Boyton, Cornwall (M006200-2 Family Search). Joseph Street is listed on the 1841 census in Boyton, Cornwall with a birth date of 1801.

Discovering the name of the first grandchild listed in the will was somewhat of a challenge. But it would appear to be Romulus. Romulus Strike was baptized 4 Jan 1795 at Launceston, St Mary Magdalene son of Joseph and Ann. At some point I shall write and check to see if this was a possible transcription error. Higher up on the page for the will the forename Richard uses the same R for the initial letter of these two entries. Then the R is followed by an o possibly an m then a likely ulus.

This is possibly the Blake family at North Molton with Richard being a son of James  and Elizabeth Blake baptized 23 Aug 1726 at North Molton. There were a number of Blake families at North Molton and a John Blake son of William and Elizabeth Blake did live at Launceston in the latter part of his life. He would have been a similar age to this Richard. At some point I need to purchase the Devon Parish Registers for North Molton after the early 1700s as I have transcribed these records from the beginning of the parish registers there to that time period and I discuss the Blake families at North Molton in my blog:

http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2012/04/blake-families-in-devon-1500s-1600s.html

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 19 May 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/1583/135
Testator:  Catharine Blake, Widow
Place: Launceston, Cornwall, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document:  26 Jun 1804, probated 9 Aug 1816
Condition: 19th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: Catharine
[Margin]: Blake

1
By Gods Permission I
2
Catharine Blake of Launceston in the County of Cornwall
3
widow do make publish and declare this as and for my last Will and
4
Testament in manner following I give unto my daughter Catharine
5
the Wife of William Leg the sum of fifty pounds and I hereby
6
expressly declare that the same sum of fifty pounds or any part
7
thereof shall not be subject or liable to the control debts or Engagements
8
of her said husband but that her receipt alone shall from time to
9
time be a sufficient discharge for as much thereof as shall be therein
10
expressed to be received  I give to my daughter Ann one shilling
11
the rest residue and remainder of my goods chattels rights and
12
credits personal and testamentary estate and effects whatsoever and
13
wheresoever after paying all my just debts the legacies hereinbefore
14
given the expences of my funeral and the proving this my will
15
I give and bequeath unto Thomas Pearse gentleman and Richard Derrant
16
Moorman both of Launceston aforesaid and to the Survivor of them his heirs
17
and Admors In Trust to pay and equally divide the same to and between
18
my two Grand Children Romulus Street and Joseph Street share and share
19
alike when and as they shall respectively attain the age of twenty one
20
years and until my said Grandchildren shall have attained the
21
age of twenty one years In trust to pay and apply the Interest and
22
dividends of his share thereof to and for his own use and benefit in
23
such manner as they my said Trustees or the Survivor of them his
24
executors or Admors shall think most proper and if but one of my
25
said Grandchildren shall live to attain that age then in trust to pay
26
the whole of the Residium of my said personal Estate and Effects
27
with the Interest and dividends thereof that shall be then due for the
28
same to and for the sole use and benefit of the Survivor of my said Grand
30
children when he shall attain that age his Exors Admors and Assigns
31
and I hereby nominate constitute and appoint them the said Thomas Pearse
32
and Richard Derrant Executors In Trust of this my last Will and Testament
33
hereby revoking all former wills by me at any time made In Witness
34
whereof I the said Catharine Blake the Testatrix have to this my
35
last will and Testament set my name and seal this twenty sixth day of
36
June one thousand eight hundred and four. The mark of X Catharine
37
Blake Signed Sealed published and declared by the said Testatrix
38
Catharine Blake as and for her last Will and Testament in the
39
presence of us who at her request in her presence and in the
40
presence of each other of us have subscribed our names as witnesses
41
thereto Hy Cornish Clerk to Mr Pearse John Higgs of Launceston
42
Peruke Maker

[Page 2]
43
Proved at London 9 August 1816 before the Judge by the
44
Oaths of Thomas pearse and Richard Derrant the Executor to whom
45
Admon was granted being first sworn by Commission duly to administer















No comments: