Saturday, May 6, 2023

Carrying on with the images

 Looking at the record Anthony Pincombe married to Joan Kellaway 6 Feb 1662 with four children mentioned on Chart 4 of the earlier research group. They are said to have married at Dolton 6 Feb 1662 with four children Abraham baptized 1657 Beaford, Ann baptized 1665 at Dolton, Mary baptized 1666 at Buckland and Robert baptized 1667 at Dolton. The record on image 1 is Abraham Pinckombe son of Anthony Pinckcombe baptized 7 Sep 1657 at Beaford. 

In Find My Past I did find a marriage for an Anthony Peinscombe married to Blanch Toomes at Beaford 27 Sep 1656 and he would seem the more likely father for Abraham baptized 7 Apr 1657 at Beaford. The original image is available for this marriage. The original image is available for both the marriage and the baptism. 

What I really want to look at is the Pencombe/Pincombe/Pinkham records in the 1500s. So that I can look at Generation 4 of this family as it moves out from North Molton. The Philip Pencombe/Pinkeham that I can not place on the Subsidy in 1544/45 but living at Tawstock left a will (destroyed in WWII unfortunately) but it is known that an Edward Pencombe was on the 1581 Subsidy at Tawstock. Tawstock is 3 to 5 km south of Barnstaple. Tawstock is in Fremington Hundred which includes Alverdiscott, Fremington, Great Torrington, Horwood, Huntshaw, Instow, Newton Tracey, Roborough, St Giles in the Wood, Tawstock and Westleigh. This hundred is interesting because it has early records for Pencombe etc in the 1500s. Family lore says that the South Molton moved to the Barnstaple area.I have never created a tree for the Pincombe-Pinkham Study of my own. I do have one but it is prepared from the original charts of the first two researchers for the most part although the actual body of the Chart was from my own tree extracting the Pincombe portion. Then I added items. I have never really been very content with it and going through this first page of records shows me that there are a number of inconsistencies with the original records which was why I stopped extracting them into Legacy years ago. 

I decided to create a new legacy tree starting with my first three generations from the last Newsletter. I think that might be better. There are a few questions that I need to ask the various search databases - namely the Pincombe/Pinkham etc records over a definite time interval. It does appear that a number of the records in the Images that I was given are in Find My Past. That is the database I generally use because it has a lot of original records. However, I back it up with Ancestry and My Heritage because they also have a lot of original records. One does need all three to really be effective. 

So this first week has been well spent; basically telling me to start a new file. I have often thought that and I am a fast typist so not troubled by that. My intent is to work forward from the past using the Subsidies/Tax data/St Pauls reconstruction files that I have along with the records. 

Just my calisthenics to do and will get to that. The day has flown by quickly but I have watched a lot of television - more than normal. But it was absolutely splendid; really enjoyed it all. Although I thought I would reminisce about my grandfather, siblings and parents I actually did not very often. Perhaps mostly my grandfather because it was fast becoming apparent that he was going to leave us and I treasured my time with him at that age. 

King Charles looked a little tired I thought and the bond between father and son really showed up when Prince William clipped the front of the cloak together. He had a look of concern I thought for his father as the service was long and holding up the heavy golden crown jewels covered in precious stones must have been an effort plus the St. Edward Crown which is so heavy. The robes themselves are also very heavy. He did very well. But I thought that Prince William carried himself very well, he reminds me of King George VI; he is ready I think but will treasure this time that his father is King as it gives him lots of time still with his family before he takes on the enormous role of King. I liked the way he made it all about his father; it was beautiful.

No comments: