Friday, May 19, 2023

Caught up on the images from another researcher - almost finished

I did catch up on the images and in total  there are 810 items that I have selected. I did not select Pink or any derivatives of that possibility as that is a standing surname still found in the UK. There were smaller ones that I also discarded because they still exist in the UK and I can be limiting in my thoughts. I have a column that lets me restore the original entry form; there is a line for the image number making it easy to go back and check the image. I can separate Baptisms from Marriages easily. I have a single column entry for the year as well as the entire date. I have a separate column for the mother's name. By separating out the marriages I can easily acquire the spouses in a file. So I am happy with the file as it appears to cover any possibility of sort that might come to my mind. The Place is individual as well, the forenames and surnames each have their own columns. 

Next item to have a look at is the Herefordshire Visitation - I purchased all of the Visitations at some point in the past that could possibly or remotely interest me. Someday all of this will go to the Anglican Church Archives near me (if they still want it) and so I was generous in what I selected as they can make good use of it. The time for that is perhaps still far off but one never knows really. I am willing to continue writing until I have completed all of my tasks but my eyes are not one of my strong features unfortunately. That has been the case my entire life though and I have made it successfully this far. The medical student that once told my grandmother I would be blind by the time I was twenty was somewhat mistaken but he was only a student. I remember him saying that actually and thinking what a strange thing to say in front of a child - my solution was to learn Braille at the tender age of seven years! There were books in the library for that. Mostly I always ignored people as a child but did listen to what they were saying and always remembered to be polite as my mother had asked me to be like that since I did have this habit of being rather abrupt with people. I did notice though that if I found people to be overly friendly and difficult to keep away I could do the reverse and be very friendly and kind and forward a bit (not so much as to take up my time to any extent) and they would eventually leave me alone as they probably got tired of me fairly quickly! I am like an encyclopaedia and can talk up a storm of details when I want to do that. Enough about me for sure and back to work. I am no longer that polite because when I turned 75 and I was widowed I decided that I could revert to being me - very blunt. That way you will not get scammed quite so easily by people pretending to be friendly. 

I have divided up the main file into four workbooks in Excel - 1500s, 1600s, 1700s, and anything else but it is mostly 1800s.  I will concentrate on the 44 entries from the 1500s for the next Issue of the Pincombe-Pinkham Newsletter. Trying to fish out thoughts that I have as a result of entries that I do not recognize (I will add that information to each line as I go through the items singly). I think I will now sort on the Baptism/Marriage column and then put a few lines between the two sets of data and re-sort into year range. In the 1500s this yields 30 baptisms and 14 marriages. I do have a Notes column where I can record the known items and how they relate to John Pencombe (thought to be by me the first Pencombe at North Molton with Lord de la Zouch in the latter part of the1480s).

Baptisms

There are six entries for North Molton until  the early 1560s and then one in the 1570s, four in the 1590s. 

There are two entries for Bideford in the 1560s, another in the 1580s and four in the 1590s. 

One entry for Ilfracombe in the 1570s. 

There is one entry in the 1570s for Roborough by Torrington, three in the 1580s and three in the 1590s. 

There is one entry for Chittlehampton in the 1570s. 

There is one entry for Molland in the 1590s. 

There is one entry for Barnstaple in the 1590s.

There is one entry for Bishops Nympton in the 1590s.

Marriages

There are six entries for North Molton until the mid 1560s.

There is one entry for Roborough by Torrington in the 1570s.

There is one entry for Bideford in the 1570s, there are two entries in the 1580s.

There is one entry for Charles in the 1570s.

There is one entry for Barnstaple in the 1590s.

There is one entry for Bishops Nympton in the 1590s.

There is one entry for Abbotsham in the 1590s.

These entries do give you an impression that the center was North Molton (and the Visitation of Devon 1620 did give support to that idea). The movement appeared to be mostly to the west of North Molton, slightly south of North Molton but not really very much to the east. The Charles entry seems somewhat out of place in the Marriages. I will carry on with these thoughts in tomorrow's blog. The newspaper is starting to shape up in mind somewhat but still pretty fluid.

Reviewed the Herefordshire Visitation 1569 and did not find any entries for Pencombe. Not surprising given that one of the name accompanied Lord de la Zouch to North Molton in the latter part of the 1480s. If they had land they probably lost it before or when King Henry VII was crowned. Likely right after the Battle of Bosworth Field which would account for John Pencombe leaving with Lord de la Zouch. That some members of the family remained in Herefordshire is in the records but they do appear to be of reduced circumstances. A very polite English idiom from my childhood that my grandmother used to use!

Will have to see what sort of tax subsidies are online for Herefordshire. 

Will continue working on the new information (from yesterday's new image) to insert it and one to go. Added the new set and it is all Cornwall. Joe Flood and I have had that discussion on Pincombe in Cornwall - he wondered if that was their ancient home and this data doesn't begin until the 1600s leaving one to ponder that likely it is simply spill-over into Cornwall from Devon and mostly in Morwenstow, Bodmin, Talland, and Morval. No entries for the 1500s with the earliest being 1614 at Morwenstow. They could be economic migrants and will look into that. The forenames are generally as expected although Nicholas is uncommon. Pincombe does not appear on the Visitations of Cornwall although will have a longer look just to make sure I did not miss a particular spelling.

Gardening is starting to beckon. The last hosta plant was starting to emerge so I cleared away the growth of wild flowers to give it breathing room. Perhaps today we might get a little garden soil spread around as it is going to rain this evening into tomorrow. Bedding plants all purchased but will not likely plant them before the end of the month - time will tell on that. The grass is growing nicely. The trees are quickly filling in now. The racoon is getting braver and was actually sitting in the bird feeder but I banged on the window and the next door neighbour chased him off of his property and so he scampered away. He/she wasn't on my back doorstep this morning. Generally they stay away from people but will be back all summer I am sure. The rabbit is afraid of the racoon I would say. The birds are not bothered. A big crow flying at a racoon suspended on the feeder could give it a run for its life for sure! The racoon must be hungry though but it is garbage day today so was perhaps just getting a look at the lay of the land. Smart mammals for sure. Good memories.

Woke up again today with strains of different hymns in my mind - a lovely way to wake up. God's world is always with us; we are very blessed. Breakfast soon; the best meal of the day for sure although last night we had orange chicken - my daughter's style. It was lovely. Tonight I think it is some sort of a bean dish with special pasta and some fresh asparagus and we also picked up some lovely fresh spinach. I do love spinach. I may have been in the minority in my childhood  but my grandfather would always let me eat the spinach right out of the garden and there is nothing tastier when the first greens are showing up in the garden. 




No comments: