Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Finally, the mind is clearing and the day can begin

Nothing like a 40 minute run to clear the mind. Plus a peanut butter sandwich for lunch; all that protein goes directly to the brain I think! Have not heard anything back from the Member of Parliament, Minister of Finance or the Prime Minster other than an automatic reply of receipt. But the day is young and certainly Ukraine and Sudan are both in need of attention. Prayers for both and that an excellent solution is found for both. 

I also live in hope that CRA speeds up although I think they are still on strike. I wasn't trying to jump the queue or anything, I just think that it is weird that it is taking such a very long time to handle what is basically (and according to the individual who reviewed the material in St Johns in December) a simple and quickly done task (there are 15 years prior done basically in the same way). Plus the Express Assessment (I did not read it) seems to imply that the Income Tax charged in error should be paid immediately which to my way thinking is just a make work effort since it will be returned. Really it is a nuisance. Since the Income Tax shows as being onhold with no interest charged (and the individual who set this up also reviewed the uploaded requested material and agreed that it was all there and this charge would disappear once the re-reassessment letter was created) one would think that the individual doing the Tax Return (which I couriered to them) would check on why it was on hold and then do the re-reassessment so that this year's Assessment would be untainted by the mistake of last year. If they couldn't do it they should have seen to it that it was done by whomever is supposed to do it. Why ever is there such a queue? If it is because of CERB then I think it should take second place to Income Tax. Most of us did not apply for CERB and those that did so incorrectly or should not have done so can be in their own queue since that may actually be what is slowing the queue.

Must keep on topic; I can get rather annoyed at items especially when they conflict with my schedule. I did think it was very resourceful of the Prime Minister to create CERB at the time but one would have thought people would be very cautious and only apply if they absolutely fitted the criteria. I certainly didn't want people starving/freezing during COVID if they needed the money for food/lodging.

Thinking about the pages that were sent to me on the Pincombe/Pinkham family. There are twenty pages in total and a number of spellings are included - Pincke, Pinkeley, Pincom, Pincomb, Pinckombe, Pineley, Pincock, Pincoe, Pincomb, Pincombe. That is page 1 there are 30 items on the page. I need to decide on a process and I rather think I will go with checking to see if I have the entry in my Pincombe one-name-study Legacy File. I may also have Find My Past open to see if the record is also there and see if they are a match. I do use Find My Past mostly although both Ancestry and My Heritage are also used by me regularly. I am noticing my cataracts more and more. I think I am losing some of my distance but can read smaller print perhaps than just six months ago. I do have my reading glasses on but my head is closer to the computer screen than it was six months ago. But I can see the print easier (no squinting) but I can of course also enlarge these files on my image viewer. The places for these records are all familiar to me as areas where Pincombe/Pinkham was found. The dates for this set of records is the 1970s (misread that actually, the dates are much earlier). I do not generally publish data that late - my general cutoff is 1920 (roughly 100 years but I will look at the material as I do collect such material in the actual one-name Legacy file. I have used Legacy from the beginning of my forays into surname research. My husband was a PAF user but around the beginning of the 2000s (do not remember when) he started to use Legacy and I copied him by using it as well when I created my first family chart in 2004. I had been using my sisters as it is online at Ancestry. It is a nice compact genealogical database that has a lot of good functions. I am pleased with it and use Version 9.  

The first is a marriage in 1700 at Marwood between Anne Pincook and George Larawell but I do not collect Pincook in the study. I do not think they are part of the Pincombe/Pinkham family. However Marwood is just above Barnstaple and I will check to see how many Pincook entries are in the database. There are 95 principally Lancashire and I will not include that surname as it has a sufficient number to be a free standing surname and the Pincombe family was not in Lancashire in the early 1700s/late 1600s. 

The next one is interesting a John Pyencombe baptizing his daughter Mary in Knowstone 29 Nov 1629.  Knowstone is just 17 km ESE of South Molton. The John Pyncombe family is known to be in South Molton in the 1524 Subsidy, 1545 Subsidy and the 1581 Subsidy. John the eldest son of John Pencombe left his will probated in 1571, his son generally referred to as John Pincombe Senior was on the 1545 Subsidy and the 1581 Subsidy and his son John Pincombe Junior was on the 1581 Subsidy. Interesting with John Pyencombe baptizing a daughter Mary at Knowstone in 1629.

That is a good start. My cataracts are starting to effect my vision a little. My eyes seem to tire a little more quickly than say a year ago. Generally I could work for hours taking a ten minute break every hour to walk but I am finding that I need to be somewhat restrictive doing maybe two or three hours (still my ten minute break every hour) and then a big break. My new exercise routines work well into that actually. 

On to a bit of television and then dinner - scallops, mashed sweet potato, peas and a spinach and tomato salad. The greenhouse is doing well with plants starting to come up. 



No comments: