Saturday, May 13, 2023

New Coronation pictures and what a wonderful day it was

The new Coronation pictures are very nice to see. The picture of the King and his two heirs was particularly significant and a bit sad remembering it is only three years since the picture of the Queen and her three heirs was published. But she is very proud I am sure looking down on her son, grandson and great grandson. They did her proud. Continuity, non partiality are the hallmarks of a democratic constitutional monarchy. When elections are held and all that turmoil is present they stand as Head of State without taking any sides. One can feel comfortable knowing that the fate of the country is in their hands because they are a democratic constitutional monarchy. The King though looks very tired but contrast that with the youthful and healthy look of his heirs. The King will rest and he will take up the reins of his position all at the same time and do it very well. I must admit seeing the King with his Queen Consort gives rise to a sadness remembering that this man when he was young had a great love that he could not marry; she was married off to someone else whether she wanted that or not it would appear since they did eventually divorce. But now they are ready to serve the nation that King Charles was raised to serve - every ounce of his upbringing, his education was done to prepare him for this moment in time. The role that Diana, Princess of Wales, took on was a difficult one for sure and she was likely too young. She seemed unable to understand that her husband had been forbidden his first love and the pain that that undoubtedly cost him but she has given to the nation her son as the Heir Apparent and will be forever remembered with love. For a successful marriage of this type one must merge one's own feelings with those of their spouse and in this case it was the husband's role to be the beloved King in waiting and hers to support that. One of the few times in our present world where a woman does take second place in order to maintain the hierarchy of a democratic constitutional monarchy (Catherine, Princess of Wales, is a perfect example of that kind of a wife). God bless the King and may his years be long. It does give his son Prince William a chance to be with his children for awhile without all the work of being King. It gives him a chance to make his mark in the world as the Heir Apparent not yet restrained by Kingship. 

 Although I love to have my daughter at home it does undermine that independent streak that I have. Edward didn't particularly like my independent streak but I was always sweet about it. But children can undermine that independence because you are old and not quite as stable or functional as you were when they were young. So the Fall will see me become independent again and I just remind myself of that all summer and do not let myself become too dependent on my children. But none the less I do realize that my oldest is in reality my caretaker and she does a great job even if from a long way away. My youngest also helps me but the life of a physician these days is very very busy - they do not have a lot of time even for their own immediate family without having to think about their parent although she does remind me to add a little variety to my meals, eat fresh vegetables and the like. Sort of a turnabout from my being the mother telling them what to do to them reminding me what to do!

Friday is the one day that one would actually see me go out the door every week, year in and year out. It is garbage day. Although my amount to put out is rather small and shrinking, I do put garbage out every week - mostly recycling. Not sure why I only have such a small amount I certainly feel full after every meal but I do use mostly basic ingredients and they simply do not have that much wrapping etc. I do recycle food waste into waxed milk cartons which I then freeze and put that bin out maybe once a month as I can only fill one milk carton per week most times. The peelings only occupy so much space. I do not eat a lot of meat; I do love peanut butter but do eat meat at dinner but I do eat a lot of fish for sure which I tend to buy frozen in good sized packages (i.e. enough for four meals most times) so not much waste there. I like potatoes (mostly sweet potato), I love vegetables but eat a lot of frozen or dried or stored (onions, carrots and cabbage) in the winter. Just the plastic bags from freezing but there is a lot in the bag so they last a while. But I digress, Friday is a day that finds me outside putting out the green bin every four weeks and collecting the bins after collection. 

Find My Past occupied me and I worked away at that but first my weight lifting having already completed my stretching exercises and two sets of jumping jacks.  God tells us to care for our bodies and so even as my arthritis annoys I do at least two hours of exercise a day. It is important for old people to get as much exercise as they can every day. 

Working on Pincombe with 27 hits 1480 to 1560 and 41 hits 1560 to 1600. Only two records Margret Pincombe's marriage 15 Nov 1539 (original image of document)at North Molton to Philip Kyngdon. She is likely the daughter of the first Pencombe at North Molton likely John Pencombe. Mother possibly Alice (unknown). The second is a burial of a 13 year old at Bristol with no year. The next couple are information known to me from the Wills Index for Devon Genuki. There is a mention of Bartholomew Pincombe or North Molton and that he was a husbandman in 1657 (his will probate date) and Richard Pyncombe of Poughill (same year) and esquire is added to his name. Another interesting one for a will of John Sander (the younger) of Bishops Nympton with his will of 18 May 1652 mentioning William Pincombe and Prudence Pincombe. The testator mentions that William Pincombe is his brother in the body of the will and Prudence Pincombe is his sister in law. On the Protestation Return of 1641 at Bishops Nympton Sander is a large family mentioning John Sen, John Jun, Edmund, George, Hugh and William. For Pincombe there is John Sen, John Jun, William Sen, William Jun. This will is for John Sander the younger. This is an important piece so will actually transcribe this will later today but continue working on the remainder of the hits for this spelling. Just a brief look at the Parish Registers for Bishops Nympton and there are many records for Saunder/Sander marriages there in particular John Saunder married Mary Pyncomb 7 Jul 1634 at Bishops Nympton. She was a half sister to William Pincombe (son of Richard Pincombe). It may give me more insight into the family of Richard Pincombe (he married twice). Another interesting item - Marriage in London, UK of James Varnham a widower and Margaret Pincombe of St Martin Orgar, London, daughter of Rich Pincombe late of Chittington Holt, Devon (weaver), married 25 Jun 1610. This is likely Chittlehampton also known as Chittleham-holt. The Richard Pincombe there I do have in a tree. But this is interesting added information for him. The rest of the will and administrations are primarily for the 1700s and will show up again in searches. One I will keep is the probate for a Thomas Pincombe of North Molton 8 Nov 1651 probated 23 Sep by son Thomas. Another interesting one for a George Pincombe/Pinckombe, yeoman of Carhampton, Somerset. At Morinstow Cornwall there is a marriage of William Pincombe and Margarett Borrowe 21 Oct 1611. As always a rather interesting entry with Morwenstow being close to a number of Devon parishes. 

That completes the early records and now into the 1560 to 1600 records. The first 15 records are from the parish registers, then the next block from the wills and there are only a couple of new ones. 

______e Pincombe son of John Pincombe was baptized Mar 1588 at Roborough

Anne Pincombe the daughter of Richard Pincombe was buried the iiijth daye of Maye 1600 at Bishops Nympton

Edith Pincombe, widow, will was probated 1572 at Tawstock

George Pincombe was baptized Mar 1588 son of John Pincombe at Roborough by Torrington

Helen Pincombe was baptized 28 Mar 1577 daughter of Richard Pincombe at Chittlehampton

Johane Pincombe the daughter of William Pincombe was baptized the 5th October 1566 at Bideford

John Pincombe's will was probated 1593 at South Molton

John Pincombe of South Molton married Margarett Stephan the 27 Nov 1598 at Bishops Nympton

Jone Pincombe was baptized 27 Feb 1570 at Ilfracombe daughter of William Pincombe

Richard Pincombe's will was probated 1592 at Bideford

William Pincombe was baptized 23 March 1599 son of Richard Pincombe and his wife _nne (likely Anne)

All of these records are known to me except for the first. Which John was at Roborough by Torrington. 

Looking at Pinkham and there are two entries for 1480 to 1560. Neither of these results has a name attached to it. The first refers to a will of Hugh Stanford of St Andrew Holborn, Middlesex. and Thomas Pinkham assisted in the probate 1629. The second refers to an Elizabeth Pinkham, widow, St Mil. P. in 1663. The four entries for 1560 to 1600 include: Will for Willimi Pinkham 1594 at Litchfield, Staffordshire but the original image is only for 1584. The second image is for 12 Jan 1584 and a Wm Pinkham at Wellington; no further details. 

PInkhame with one image for each year range. The first year range is a will probate for Roger Pinkhame, husbandman, Bere Regis, Dorset 1641.  The second year range is the same document.

The next image was added to the images excel file and I now have 292 entries in the file. 

 Today is a cleaning day as I want to give the basement a good spring house cleaning. Everything washed and moved about to get rid of the winter dust. I can still do all of that at the moment. God willing I will continue to do so. 

Probably I will take rests and transcribe some of the images into the excel file as it does look like a good idea. I can than sort on the date and have a lovely list of the events captured by another particularly of the 1500s and 1600s although at the moment I am still thinking in the 1500s. A couple of interesting Herefordshire records for the Pencombe family found today in the Hits from Find My Past. It will be difficult to link these two families but possibly it can be done - time will tell. 

I may also do the next set of hits for Find my Past looking at Pyncombe and will check on Pyncomb as well since I did not yet do that. 

The morning advances, the sun is shinning and I am looking forward to breakfast. Today I woke up with "This is the day that the Lord hath made." I believe I first heard that song sung at my husband's United Church when my husband and children were singing in the choir. I would sit at the back of the Church so that I could enjoy the music and the singing (by myself). I can never say I was sorry that Edward decided that he needed the comfort after his brother passed away and then his mother just a couple of years later which he received by going to Dominion Chalmers United Church (the Minister always took a few moments to chat with him at the end of the Service) in the mid to late 1990s as I was much happier. I was working at the Hospital by then (after working at home on contract proofreading/copyediting for 16 years) and my days were busy so just wanted my solitude to feel close to God. The sermons were absolutely magnificent as the Minister there was an Old Testament Scholar. But life moves on and he retired. The new energetic Minister was more modern and we moved on once again to full time attendance at my Church - Christ Church Cathedral (which we attended once a month or every second month at that time) although I was always willing to go to the United Church with him. But Edward did feel that I had gone to his Church for seventeen years and it was his turn to go to mine for awhile. He did love it there; the music was and is fantastic as is the singing. I think sometimes he thought about joining the Choir but felt that he should sit with me so that I was not alone. He did have a wonderful singing voice. Edward did like to have "family" watching him singing and that was me at the back of the church and then he loved it when I said that he had done so well in a solo when he sang alone or as part of a small group singing.







No comments: