Tuesday, May 2, 2023

I can see a big distraction coming

Although I will not let it dominate my thoughts, I can see a big distraction coming with the list that I found on the Winchester Archives for records. I did a similar search (Andover or Blake or Enham) in the Discovery Catalogue at Kew and came up with 360 results from 1100 to 1399 and did find some earlier records than the 1379 Court Roll. I was in the process of searching on the documents that I photographed way back in 2013 when we were at Kew. I decided to just put in the three search terms and see what emerged and there are almost 400 documents but most importantly I did find an Andover Guild of Merchants document 1262-1600 which might be interesting. There are two from the 1000s, eight from the 1100s, 68 from the 1200s and 306 from the 1300s using those search terms. However, I will try to find where I stored the scans to which I referred earlier today and before to see what I was looking at. Blake/Blak/Blaike/Blayke has been in the Andover area for a long time and as I start working towards a book on Andover perhaps giving myself a little time regularly would be a good idea so that I do not just retain the latest thought or remembrance. Certainly I did find it interesting that a Richard Blake arrived at Salisbury, Wiltshire 10 August 1441 from Ireland especially given that a Robert (quite aged) left his will at Enham in 1521 and his son Richard left his will also at Enham in 1522. But I must get to the cleaning; the morning is passing.  

I did spend a little bit of time searching my files and did locate the Manor Record for Upper Clatford but it does not resemble the items that are in my mind for Andover. First of all they were not in Latin and more modern. I have them somewhere and will find them eventually but I really had not thought about looking at them until I have finished the Siderfin book. Hopefully, I will keep that idea out of my head - truly searching deeply for them. 

And I suddenly remembered where I photographed them - Salt Lake City in Oct/Nov2008 and I indexed those 2500 images. Nothing like doing mundane cleaning while your brain sorts through stuff!


No comments: