Thursday, May 25, 2023

Social Conservativism

As I become more and more like my self before the knife attack and verbal abuse that I suffered when I helped an individual escape a definitely uncomfortable situation that she found herself in, I look back on how I changed because of the incident. In many ways it was a rapid change as I went from being basically fearless to a person who was more guarded and took extra pains to avoid situations that might be combative. I was used to arguing points of interest and taking strong leadership roles but that disappeared in an instant at that time. The individual that I helped was someone that I worked with that summer between University years. I did not actually know her very well but over a period of perhaps a week or so she came in to work upset every day and  expressed a fear of the two women with whom she was sharing accommodation. They seemed alright it appeared when they were sober (I had no idea they were lesbians and it was a new word to me at that time). Living at home with my family I had never encountered anything quite like that and I avoided her somewhat but she did seem to signal me out to tell me her sad story. I will admit my comment was why not just move out and find another place (ever the logical one). Perhaps she took that as a sign that I might be helpful; no idea on that. So she organized her sister's boyfriend to drive and plans were made to move and she asked if I would help. The women were going to be away apparently so just a few trips up to the apartment and remove her stuff was all that was needed. The sister's boyfriend would wait in the car unless needed to carry heavy items. It did turn out that the two women were actually there (and I do blame her for misleading me) and shortly after we had started to move they came out of the room and started to argue with me because I was a stranger perhaps no ideas on that. They asked my name and I responded which in retrospect was a bad idea because she then said she knew my family and attacked them; can not really remember those details even now; it is a blur. Then the knife attack and I ran yelling for help at the top of my lungs down the stairs and the boyfriend came running up and I could hear him yelling back at these screaming women. The young woman and the sister's boyfriend soon arrived with the rest of the belongings and drove me back home (I got out up the street as I did not want to answer any questions in my somewhat erratic state). The next week at work the young woman did try to talk to me but I definitely refrained from that I had told her on the day of the event she should call the police on these women but decided not to get involved in that myself - I was not actually physically injured although the knife had ripped a hole in my jacket. She told me that the women were stoned and I had absolutely no idea what she was talking about - no googling in those days! But the change in me was rather profound I must admit looking back. Up until that point in my life I had been raised in a socially conservative household and arguing political points was very much part of my upbringing.  I very much belonged to that group of people where avoidance of individuals with unusual or liberal attitudes was normal. The next summer I worked in the hospital laboratory and my veneer of social conservative was chipped away somewhat by the death of a young woman from a botched abortion. I became a supporter of abortion although kept that to myself pretty much although I could not imagine having an abortion myself and continue in that vein of thought although at 77 such happenings on a personal level are way in the past. I had a fear of homosexuality though whereas before I just didn't know anything about it other than it was said to be not normal. It wasn't until I became a member of the Anglican group online in 1995 that I acquired some knowledge of homosexuality as a human liking between two people of the same sex since a number of the members were homosexual. I understood then that they were not all violent people. Up until then I did have that thought. Hence another reducing of that social conservative attitude of mine. Personally I could never understand lesbianism because I preferred male company and was by 1995 married for nearly thirty years. I still do not understand the attraction but that isn't my business. But I do not intend to become involved in any laws that creates barriers for people that do not need to be there. There is an enormous danger in forcing people to lie about relationships and the need to protect themselves creates situations such as what occurred and I am sure that I am not the only person in the world who has been threatened by people. To me that is wrong to judge people just because they do not have the same emotional makeup as I do. So long as no one is injured then friendship between two consulting adults is not my business or the business of the criminal legal system. I was thinking about all of this when I awoke for some reason. I do not belong to the "woke" generation now that I know what it means. I belong to the generation that wants peace in this world and extremes on either side only create trouble. The generation in which I grew up (and it was very conservative) did not go out of their way to create situations that could cause trouble.  One must go with the flow of the majority in order to have a peaceful existence avoiding incidents that are inflammatory just because they are different from the normal way in which things are done especially if you are well known. However mankind is meant to be free; the human soul can not be chained or controlled as it will always seek an outlet for freedom. It is a two way street, living. Extremes of any kind are not really welcomed in a world that wants peace.

Yesterday I started the Pincombe-Pinkham Newsletter and will continue with that today. It will be quite a bit of what I have blogged and if the scan comes in before the deadline than I will include information from the Inquisition Postmorten for John de Pencombe. My Latin lessons continue and it is primarily familial vocabulary at the moment with which I am familiar but it is introducing words that I do not know. It is a different way to learn a language duolingo and I rather like it. 

I also worked on my second ancestry test (I took two about eight years apart) because I never really looked at it very much. There are a few small differences likely created as TIMBER became more proficient through the years. This is a piece of software used by ancestry to remove "common" lengths of chromosomes that are unique to areas thus lowering the total but yielding a more controlled match between individuals sharing a common ancestry. I have all of my matches stored in an Excel file and I am entering in this second test of mine which I will have to sort in a different way to make it match the rest of the results as there are subtle changes in some of the placement of the matches (I have an extra column which numbers them independently so that I can see the original order if I become so inclined!).

Another lovely day although just 4 degrees celsius at 6:00 a.m. but looks like yesterday's rain has passed although more rain is always needed. The ground is still dry. A busy today as always when it is gardening time; winter is such a peaceful time! I do love the winter. The mother rabbit is leaving her newest brood in the raspberry bushes and my daughter is trying not to dislodge them as she doesn't want her to abandon them; I never could convince her that nature just moves on and one can not prevent what is going to happen. I do love the way though that she helps her students which is another sign of her enormous caring; University professors have such an opportunity to help to guide their students and having had a learning disability as a child she understands the struggle that that can be for the occasional student that she has in her Masters and PhD classes (she does teach undergraduate as well but mostly graduate students). Perhaps it is that caring about two tiny baby rabbits with their eyes just opened that have created that interest in helping where she can!

The morning moves on and soon breakfast time. I have to say if the present Conservative Party wants my support than they have to be doing more than encouraging the spending of millions of dollars on a public inquiry that isn't needed. Fix the inefficiency in the government services. Tax reassessment queues shouldn't be so long that they are still working on last September so that anyone needing a reassessment may wait as much as an entire year.  The Conservative party could make all of our lives easier if they just got to work on the issues; improve efficiency in the government and increase the GST back up to 7% or 10% if they have the fortitude for that. It should never have been reduced. Following Prime Minister Harper's methodology is a losing proposition for our country. The GST funds the government. Whining about a public inquiry which will skirt around any of the important material because it is confidential is a waste of money and I do not want to listen to that circus where everyone tries to make points to help in their re-election!


No comments: