Sunday, May 7, 2023

Yesterdays good deed

 Yesterday in the midst of the Coronation my doorbell rang and then I had someone staring in my front window and pointing at my car. Since my car was parked in front of my house waiting for my bag of garden soil to be delivered I really couldn't see a problem. But I decided that I would take this occasion to see what she wanted since it was distracting from the Coronation. She needed me to move my car so that they could continue moving out or in - not sure which actually. I do not know the people across the street really - sort of, the cars they drive and the sort of look of them. Car moved and back to the Coronation. Garden soil soon delivered and car back in my laneway - good deed for the day. Only missed a bit of the Coronation. Strange really as I almost never park my car in front of my house - everyone else does that!

Today will be a new look at the legacy file for the Pencombe family. I started the new one yesterday with the information from the last newsletter on the first three generations. I will now extract information from both the new images and Find My Past using a ten year guide and starting with 1480. Working forward does seem like a good plan plus I have all of these earlier charts that go backwards in time that I can also look at and the new images of someone else's collection of material. I do have an extensive Pincombe tree for my own line which I have added to over time but I have not placed any unlinking material into that chart. I will drag that into the new file as well since I am happy with it. Time may change some of it although I doubt it the reasoning that I used is pretty sound for the traceback. Using Tax Subsidies, Land Records and wills I have built that backwards over time. But coming forward has its advantages - one must account for every piece of data that is verifiable and put it into place or begin a new line starting with this individual that has generated a verifiable record. That will be the file that I use to generate the material for my book on the Pencombe family of North Molton and include, if I can find sufficient proof their link back to the Pencombe family of Herefordshire prior to the Battle of Bosworth Field and the attainment of Lord de la Zouch who is known to have retreated to North Molton where he was permitted to stay by the new King Henry VII (and one thinks that John Pencombe was a page/? that accompanied him for whatever reason). 

Playing my psalms this lovely sunny Sunday morning. We basked in the sunshine yesterday whilst London, England was soaked in rain. But it is good luck to have rain - rain at a wedding is especially considered to be good luck which I think is an English tradition (but now in my old age I really do not know anyone who is English to verify that in a quick way!). King Charles looked very tired but happy yesterday; God willing he will be King for a good amount of time to give Prince William time with his growing family. They are a good team and care greatly about the United Kingdom. If wealth was their aim then they could just abdicate and live quietly on their own personal fortunes but they dedicate their lives to the people of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth. Rumour has it that they are a rather frugal family - eating up leftovers, reusing clothes, avoiding waste by recycling and this current generation not living in those palaces which will be opened to the public and more money made for the UK government. They pay their way for sure in the work that they do. Their personal lives are open for view and really it is hard to hide from that Fishbowl existence. Perhaps that was Harry's aim to show them the way - but he has insulted the British people and the Royal family but they were kind on Coronation day - he was lucky I rather think. From childhood I have loved the Commonwealth - all of those peoples of the earth coming together in memory of the people from the United Kingdom who went around the world and introduced the British way of life. It was not always kind; our own First Peoples can tell that tale but what was done to the First Nations here happened after Canada became a Nation and did not properly respect the treaties. But Homo sapiens can be like that ill-treatment of people here and there through the centuries - we have to move ahead together and make this a better world for the children now born and who will be born. Carrying grudges doesn't help anyone - the Commonwealth stretches around the globe and offers opportunities to everyone that aren't there quite so readily for those outside of the Commonwealth. At least that is my take but I am not a politician just a hermit living my life as far from everyone as possible and trying to accomplish what I can in my lifetime with the available tools. But then I am really a very new transplant from England with my father born there and three of my grandparents lived there to adulthood - that tiny little line of Canadian born - my mother, her father and his mother. I always think of myself as first generation Canadian because my father was not born here so have much in common with all those people born to immigrants to Canada from around the world. Somewhat amazingly though my great grandmother (first Canadian born ancestor) was first cousin to Sir John Carling (an amazing politician back in the 1800s and a number of items were named after him here in Ottawa from his time as Minister of Agriculture). I always hope that he was against the Residential Schools but I do not know that much about his actual work in parliament other than what my cousin wrote up (and I will not actually write him up unless I do revise the book that my cousin George DeKay wrote on our mutual families - that is in the future for sure!). A first cousin to my great grandmother makes me fourth cousin to his descendants since we share three times great grandparents (Thomas Routledge and Elizabeth Routledge - my first ancestors to come to Canada and stay here (1818)) so we are pretty distant cousins for sure. My daughters on the other hand, are ninth generation Canadian (Colonial American/Dutch -  12th generation) on their father's side. My grandsons are 14th generation Canadian (descendant of  thirty two of the first settlers to Quebec and perhaps even further back as they are said to be descendant of the godchild of Champlain who was First Nations). I must get back to French Canadian research one of these days. I did the family tree when my daughter and son in law were married but have not done a great deal since.

Church on You-Tube and that is the highlight of my week often enough amongst other items like finding material that move me along in my quest to create books for my parent's surnames. On to the day.

No comments: