Sunday, October 17, 2021

My Heritage - Theory of Relativity

I posted on the latest changes in My Heritage with respect to the Theory of Relativity on another website and decided to add it to my blog as well.

I have five siblings results on My Heritage with a varying number of Theories of Relativity for each one. 

For one of my siblings there are 21 sets of data with 12 confirmed and they vary from 14.5 cM shared to 97.6 cM shared. I have rejected six of the sets and they have all copied each other and given my father new parents with his birthplace in the United States (He came to Canada with his parents in 1913 from Hampshire, England.). That leaves me with three interesting ones that all relate to my paternal grandmother’s father and they are matching the likely father’s ancestry so is quite interesting actually. I do not particularly notice an increase in theories but I have not kept track of the number prior to this time. 

A second sibling has 19 theories with 12 confirmed varying between 14.5 cM and and 77 cM (and not all of these are the same matches as the first sibling mentioned). I have rejected four of them for the same reason as mentioned earlier. That leaves three that are once again interesting because they are looking at my paternal grandmother’s family lines where I have information but not as firm as I would like. 

A third sibling has 24 theories and I have confirmed 12 of these and they vary from 15.3 cM to 90.4 cM (again some are different from the other two siblings results). I have rejected eight because they are linking to my father and are incorrect. The other four are interesting and for a similar reason to the other two siblings. 

A fourth sibling has 13 sets of data. I have confirmed 8 and they range from 16.6 cM to 77.0 cM. Again not all of them are the same as the other three siblings. I have rejected three for a similar reason as before. Two of them are interesting for a similar reason to the other siblings. 

For myself, I have 21 data sets and have confirmed 11 (again not always the same as my four siblings) and they ranged from 14.3 cM to 81.0 cM. I have rejected six for a similar reason to the others. The other three are basically interesting and again for a similar reason to my siblings. 

I may keep track of this now that I have started. All of the confirmed can be seen in my tree in terms of the most recent common ancestor. Overall I do find My Heritage Theories of Relativity quite interesting. 

Obviously the rejected individuals are matching somewhere since we share some DNA but I do have collapsing pedigrees in a number of lines at the 3x great grandparent level in several families and one at the 9x great grandparent level and they are likely matching me in the Knight, Butt, or Routledge lines although could be the Blake line which is a long way back though since in all cases the sharing is multiple segments (between two and four lengths) and they are small. 

It would be interesting to understand the considerations used by My Heritage in their assignment of these theories but this is a trademarked manipulation of data so one just has to go with the information and see if anything new can be gleaned from it.

No comments: