Friday, October 15, 2021

Searching on de Chorlegh

I did not search on de Chorlegh on the National Archives (UK) earlier but did do that now and there are 76 results. 

1200-1299  2

1300-1399  37

1400-1499  16

1500-1599  3

1600-1699  3

1700-1799 9

1800-1899   3

Dates unknown   7

I had forgotten that the spelling of Chorley had begun as de Chorlegh. Most of these records are at other archives including Lancashire Archives (70) with 6 at the National Archives (one available for download is an Indenture with John of Gaunt Duke of Lancaster party of one part and William Chorley (de Chorlegh) the other part of the Indenture). 

One is left to wonder if the de Chorlegh family was from France; did they acquire a name change during the Norman era and actually a Saxon family or from even earlier times in England. Since I suspect my Charly/Charley is Huguenot I will probably not pursue this family in England but hopefully someone else has picked up this work Irene Hannah Charley completed in 1970 and is carrying it forward. 

Checking the Guild of one name studies (I am member #4600 researching BLAKE and PINCOMBE) no one has taken on the Charley surname for their study. I know that the Branch in North Devon is quite small and will pursue the notion (raised by Irene Charley) that they could have been Huguenots. Since my Siderfin family married into a Huguenot family (Question family of Dunster) and my Rew line descends from the Siderfin/Question marriage in the 1600s (John Rew married Elizabeth Siderfin in the 1700s) and my 2x great grandmother Elizabeth Rew married John Pincombe in 1834. Interesting that John Pincombe's grandmother was Mary Charly! That does make me think that pursuing the notion of the Charley family of North Devon being Huguenot would be interesting. They arrived in North Devon just a little later than the Question family arrived in Dunster, Somerset. I have noted that family connections in the 1700s and 1800s did often result in marriages in my lines and Pedigree Collapse!

I must check the Lancashire Visitation Disc that I have for the Chorley family to see what is there.

In the meantime, searching on line The County Palatine of Lancaster 1664-5 by Sir William Dugdale, Knight does appear to have a number of entries for the Chorley family. A review of this *.pdf  was mostly an advertising attempt with only a few pages. I know I have Lancashire Visitation but it may be the 1613 one. Will check later.


No comments: