Saturday, September 10, 2022

Aggression and Greed

Perhaps the two worst attributes of homo sapiens, aggression and greed, have caused more unhappiness and hatred in the world than any other happening. Our written history is replete in  stories of forced slavery and conquered countries from some of the earliest written histories (many times the conquered became the conqueror as the centuries passed). But I have always felt that 1945 with the end of the hostilities around the world that we should move forward (perhaps because I was born after VJ day when everything was pretty much done) and search for that peaceful world where people help other people and do no injury to those who reside in our proximity or our country and even our world. It is the only way forward I do believe because we now have the ability to destroy our world completely with nuclear weapons and it would only take a matter of minutes to do the deed. It is time to let bygones be bygones and forge ahead with the borders that we have from 1945 and the collapse of the Soviet Union (they went bankrupt because of their war efforts in Afghanistan). The benefits are enormous - freedom can be everywhere as much as people want. Some people exist in a communal type of government and find that it works for them others head for democracy but we have seen how that can get distorted when greed enters into the picture. 

I am 100% English from five different areas of England - I have first hand knowledge of the lives that my ancestors lived in four of these five distinct areas to carry with me and pass on to those around me. I am deeply saddened by the death of Queen Elizabeth II just as I was when her father King George VI died. The death of King George VI (although he was very ill) was such a tragedy because he was so young and the loss of Queen Elizabeth II will also be deeply felt but at 96 we knew that the time would come. Now it is time to celebrate King Charles III and a new age for England for my ancestors' descendants who still live there. I would like to see us remain a constitutional monarchy but the will of the people is important to me as well. Time will tell on that but I would not be surprised to see us continue as a monarchy; it works well for us. We have a head of state that isn't dependent on political rivalry which has been quite nasty these last few years in Canada. Although I realize that in the past political rivalry was also rather nasty on occasion but I think homo sapiens have moved along and should be able to be polite and not always in attack mode. 

That being said; I watched the Ascension Ceremony on television and thought how much my grandfather would have enjoyed the new age of television compared to the grainy picture that we had of the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II all those years ago when I was but seven years of age and he was 78. He lived through such a change in life style and as I look back; I too have seen great changes in how we live our lives.

No comments: