Saturday, September 17, 2022

I feel the winds of God today

I feel the winds of God today;
today my sail I lift,
though heavy oft with drenching spray
and torn with many a rift;
if hope but light the water’s crest,
and Christ my bark will use,
I’ll seek the seas at his behest,
and brave another cruise.

By far one of my most favourite hymns and it was much loved by my grandfather. Two of his wife's brothers were in the Navy so is perhaps why; not sure really. His own siblings were not in the military except for his youngest brother who was in the Navy also. But he did love to sing that hymn. Learning it as a child, I too loved it every time that we sang it at Church. 

Thinking about the Queen Lying-In-State in Westminster Hall and the words did come to mind. She comes from a long line of British sailors as it tends to be the favourite of the services quite likely because they are an Island Nation and their strength lay in their Navy until the Air Force took over the skies.  But the Navy and Air Force work together and so the great love for the Navy continues in the British Isles although the Army is also greatly loved as are all the Services. 

A greater pageant can not be staged by anyone I do not think than the British with their various remembrances and huge parades. As a child we did have more parades in Canada than now. But in many ways we are a pacifist country in that we have not gone to war without first being attacked. But we will fight and fight hard for our country and in particular the First Peoples have been very much a part of that protection of our country. 

It is good that so many countries have been invited and are sending their leaders. The Queen was an amazing person and very worthy of all that is being done. Her children are doing an amazing job and the King looks especially strained. 

I am sorry that Harry and Meghan are making his life so difficult with their "I want" attitude. They should just be glad that their families treat them so well after the dreadful things they said and implied about them. I do hope that Harry in his book doesn't go after them all again. I would never want that fishbowl existence myself and the Royal Family lives in it exceedingly well. If you do not like something than just leave and make your own way.

No comments: