Friday, September 9, 2022

Up early every day this week

I have been up early every day this week; this is one of my favourite times of the year when dawn is just breaking around the six o'clock mark. It is the first day after the reign of Queen Elizabeth II. She was truly a wonderful Queen and I can still remember sitting and watching the Coronation on the television with my grandfather. He was absolutely totally engaged with the events unfolding on the television. In 1953 he was 78 years of age (and I was nearly eight years of age) and he had then been in Canada for fourty years. To actually view the Coronation albeit on television was to him the most stupendous event in his life. He talked about it constantly from that day onward until he died later that year. Before that definitely his trip across the Atlantic Ocean to Canada (on his own as my father and grandmother followed him six months later) and then discovering Canada working for the CNR was a huge event in his life. But he was British first and foremost and in the 1950s that was being fast replaced by pride in being Canadian which my English born maternal grandmother had quickly done when the option of being Canadian was offered. 

It is exciting to watch as King Charles III makes his mark on the world. He is a very accomplished person with that same great pride in England that my grandfather had - England in his eyes was perfect. God speed to our new King.

No comments: