Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Can running bring you closer to God?

 The Anglican Journal often presents me with stories that immediately claim my thoughts and agreement in this case. Running is perhaps one of the most fundamental of human exercises - at some point in our lives we have all probably run. Toddlers when they first walk often do a sort of run-walk as they learn to navigate the world on two feet. But I especially enjoyed what Rev. Greg Powell, a United Church minister in BC had to say on the subject. 

I have been running most of my life. Not that sidewalk pounding marathon type; I am not that type of an athlete just that slow prodding run for initially a mile when I was young and gradually moving it up to 10 km in my 50s and now back to five kilometres at 77 years of age. I hope to run all of my life but if that isn't possible I will still have that wondrous memory of the wind streaming through my hair and the feeling that God is with me as I run. Is he really? Well, to be honest, I do not believe that God interferes in the activities of mankind these days but that doesn't mean He isn't still with us in our minds and our spirits. 

The Anglican Journal is always a very interesting read and I am happy to see it in my mailbox every month.

No comments: