Thursday, January 20, 2022

Continuing to work on H11 Newsletter

Yesterday I managed the basement cleaning as well as finishing 7/8ths of the lookups for the H11 Newsletter. I should easily complete that later today as well as searching out any new news items for H11. Barry Hinman often sent me items and I will miss his steady input into the study. It is amazing how many people one meets online.

Four days without dust are now about to be my gain from doing the cleaning three days in a row. Much appreciated especially during the winter when I am not outside as much. A lot of paper rearranging today I suspect as I look for a couple of items I am missing in my sack of papers. 

Generally I do not answer my phone unless I know who it is. But I was a bit distracted working away and automatically answered it (613-716-2449). No reply to my hello and I gave it a couple of seconds and then hung up.

I did find an interesting article that I will use one section for this latest H11 newsletter. I may yet get a couple of maps done. Will have to see how the time passes between now and the 1st of February when it is due. The article is interesting because it has a set of pie-charts from the Mesolithic to the Neolithic to the Stone Age. The charts show very little H in the Baltic States during the Mesolithic to early/middle Neolithic (3%), then 9% by the Late Neolithic and during the Bronze Age a sudden leap to 47%. Mind you we are looking at small numbers 31 samples in the Mesolithic-Early/Middle Neolithic, then 11 samples in the Late Neolithic and 17 samples in the Bronze Age. The Mesolithic-Early/Middle Neolithic shows 3% K,  29% U4, 26% U5a, 32% U5b. The Late Neolithic shows a different picture because the number of groups has nearly doubled showing 9% T2, 9% W, 18% U2, 9% U5a, 9% U5b, 9% K, 9% H, 18% I, 9% J, 9% T2. The Bronze Age shows 47% H, 6% J, 6% T1, 18% T2, 23% U5a. So are we picking up a migration period with the Late Neolithic with individuals moving away by the Bronze Age. The peoples of the Baltic State in some ways remained constant with U5a found in all three time frames along with H for approximately 29% Mesolithic-Early/Middle Neolithic to 18% Late Neolithic and 70% during the Stone Age. I must admit my curiosity was stirred as to what happened to cause such a dramatic change. The study of history will take an enormous change during this next generation as the study of population structure may dominate the interests of people. DNA has evolved in more ways than one! 

No comments: