Monday, June 17, 2024

Day two post second surgery and day twenty post first cataract surgery

Although I was not there when my parents had their cataract surgery I did hear about it via letters and phone calls at the time. I really did not have any sort of opinion on what would happen although my eyes were always said to be very like my father. I had seen the results several months later as he was once again enjoying his cross word puzzles (he was in his 80s and I can not remember at what age within that range). It was always very busy when we visited (six siblings and their families can be a lot of people!) so I was not really able to note anything specific. When he went into a Nursing Home after a massive stroke that robbed him of his use of his legs I was again able to spend an entire day chatting with him whenever we visited. At that time he was unhappy to be in a Nursing Home as he had taken care of both his mother and father in their old age and I am not sure he ever really warmed up to the Nursing Home to be honest (his parents died at 65 (mother) and 79 (father) were still fairly mobile in their late years). He could be a difficult person as he was very precise where his needs were concerned - a six minute egg was just that nothing more nothing less! But he elected not to try very hard which was somewhat sad although he did enjoy television which was a plus. However, I had noted his ability to use his eyes effectively in the years before this time. So I was actually quite enthusiastic to have cataract surgery and it is definitely a good approach to having it. My recovery has been my normal type of recovery; fairly rapid although I do tend to overdo so had tired days along the way when I was not quite as "bouncing off the walls" as I can be normally. But on Day two post second surgery I am seeing quite well although it does take a little while first thing for the eyes to become comfortable with the very bright light. That has actually surprised me. Charming though to have depth of vision for sure. Everything though is so very white bright and I was surprised to see that it was yellowish after the first eye was done. It was lucky that this surgeon elected to do the weak eye first as it gave me the opportunity to see what I would be seeing with the second eye completed and yet still see what I had been seeing possibly for a few years - the yellowish colour instead of pure white.  I wonder how long does this last? Will my vision eventually become limited again? No ideas on that. My father was 94 + when he died and I know he recognized me as soon as I came into the room so looks like a plus on distance vision anyway. 

Another surprise was being able to easily read the file labels on the computer screen as they are slightly raised with a shadow beneath them. Apparently that was always the case I just couldn't see that before. 

The optometrist's office called to set up an appointment as I have not been now since I was referred January 2023. I preferred early August/late July but apparently I can not be set up until towards the end of August. I will investigate that. When they called I was just post surgery and did not want to get into semantics. If it is just the case that OHIP will not cover then I will just pay and claim it on my income tax and be earlier. The office has moved and I would really prefer to be closer to this location so will check that out in the next couple of weeks as I would like to have my new glasses in early August so that I can get back to work. 

Over 4000 steps by 10:30 and will try for 6000 steps by noon when I have the next set of eye drops (this time just three in the newly operated eye and one in the earlier operated eye). I gather a lot of people would now just have two eye drops in the earlier operated eye a day instead of six that I have but everything is working well; the cataracts were apparently large. Interesting all of these things in one's old age!

The Church Service on You-Tube was an interesting look at God in Creation and our need to be ever observant of what we need to do to preserve creation (including our own). Too bad everyone isn't watching that Sunday Service. We do need more to preserve the natural life even when it isn't convenient to us. My husband had always said that growing too much foliage close to the house can lead to unwelcomed visitors like mice and rats. So was not surprised a few years back (maybe ten now!) when the earlier neighbour acquired rats which I will admit he quickly eliminated by having the land all cleared behind his house (they had two small children so really a necessity) and they were definitely gone in an instant really. Sadly our bird feeders will have to go; the one Edward and our eldest daughter built years and years ago when she was young. I think they are mice on the feeder but the exterminator has said rats but I do not know if he/she saw them we didn't hire him. There are poison traps laid for the mice/rats but hopefully the squirrels and chipmunks survive.



There are two of them and this is the ancient feeder. We will take it down I think because the foliage will not be cleared. However, interestingly enough, one of the grey squirrels intimidated both of them just after this picture and they fled back to living under the purple lilac bush that we have now seen them come in and out of next door. But they were back later!

Fun while it lasted but life does move on. We will miss the birds for sure as the other feeder will also have to go because the mice/rats can climb into this swinging feeder as well on the other side of the yard. I think the saddest part is for my daughter as the chipmunks must be into their 20th generation now living in the yard of the house on the other side (we do not have foliage close up to the house so they pass us by to protect themselves from hawks). That and the birds that come back year after year especially the cardinal families. 

So today more of the same lots of walking and getting used to the bright light once again. My eyes are pretty tired by night with the brightness. But each day is better. 

Latin in a bit and actually it is easier this time. I am lucky that the surgeon did my poor eye first as the original surgeon was going to do the good eye first! I guess they have their own criteria for operating although I always thought all of this was "standard' Procedure depending on the case of each individual's eye condition. But I am not an expert just lucky that I asked to be referred due to time limitations for my care. Again one needs 100% care the first couple of days although I was able to do my eye drops myself in 24 hours after the second surgery but mostly because my daughter was exhausted looking after me the first day! She too is getting older and busy with her PhD/masters students,  meetings and research this time of year. 

On to the day.


 


No comments: