Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Rowcliffe and Charley families

I decided to create a database of the Brief for the rebuilding of St Pauls Cathedral, London, England in 1678. This is available online at the Genuki Devon site. I contributed about ten of the transcriptions. I pulled all of the parishes that are applicable to my research and discovered the four "Routly" members at Merton (these are definitely Rowcliffe). Only one Charley entry though, John Charley at Kentisbury and this is my possible ancestor (Hugh is his son and Mary Charley was one of his daughters). This does not appear to be a large family in the 1600s but today I will look at the subsidy rolls for the 1500s to examine this family in more detail as well as other records from the 1600s. I do not have the protestation returns and will collect those on our next visit to Salt Lake City.

We went shopping and this was my first big trek out since I took ill six weeks ago. It was a pleasant couple of hours actually and I managed very well. I found my favourite socks for the winter-time (work socks made of 50% wool) as it isn't always easy to find them in my size.

I worked on the Bishops Nympton marriage records and have about 100 left to enter to bring me up to 1812. I was realizing that I looked at some of my records several years ago and in light of all my advances I need to revisit many of those records with a roving eye to pick up all my new family lines acquired with this deeper research. Making the decision to only work my way back now generation by generation as I am able will enhance my tree. I have proven back to the 3x great grandparents on all lines. I am working on the 4x great grandparents and will have to purchase two more sets of records (fiche from Hampshire for St Mary Bourne, early Kimpton and a couple of other parishes; fiche from Wiltshire for Collingbourne Kingston, Woodborough and a couple of other places). Any of the 4xs that I cannot prove during this next year, I will set aside and begin work on the 5x for those ancestors for whom I have records for proving. That way my time at Salt Lake City next year will be allocated in advance and my productivity level should again be quite high.

There are drawbacks in being able to find all of your lines back but it is very rewarding also. I still have my one weak link with my maternal maternal great grandmother's line as it is based partially on family lore.

No comments: