Friday, January 9, 2009

Leicestershire Parish Records

I want to start recording my days events at the end of the day that I am discussing. I continued looking at Blake information this morning and reviewing some of the early wills. My next big extraction should be the Blake family at Abbots Ann.

My parish fiche from Leicestershire Record Office arrived today and I still need to order the marriage fiche from Castle Donnington. I looked through the Cheatle baptisms for William Cheatle and Sarah Woodcock and discovered that William was a Stockiner (he makes stockings). I have absolutely no information on my Cheatle family other than the baptism of my Sarah Cheatle at Ashby de la Zouch 21 Jan 1795 as the daughter of William Cheatle and his wife Sarah and Sarah's marriage at Longdon by Lichfield 24 Aug 1818 where William Cheatle signed the parish register (as did Sarah Cheatle and her husband William Welch). Would a Stockiner be able to write with a firm clear hand? Probably since he has to keep records. However this William is at Castle Donnington and I need to continue reading the register to see if he is still there up to 1812. I may also order the burial register up to 1837.

The Cheatle name is not a common one which is helpful. The Cheatle family at Ashby de la Zouch has only one child. There is a death of a Sarah Cheatle (no parents stated, no mention of widow status or wife status) and the family at Castle Donnington has a daughter Sarah b 3 Jan 1783. The burials at Ashby de la Zouch do not really give other than the name in most cases unless the child is an infant. There are still other Cheatle families in Leicestershire.

I changed my picture on my webpage. It was from 2001 and now I am up to date.

We showed our pictures to friends today of our English/Scot/Welsh trip (1200 images) and had a quiet dinner. That took up a fair portion of the day but the discussion was good as they have traveled in Europe a fair amount and that is our next trip.

No comments: