Friday, January 15, 2010

Jean Baptiste Neveu family

I have been searching for information on the Neveu family for quite a while. I had good luck with searching finding them first on the census 1911, 1901, 1891, 1881 at Pte Gatineau PQ and then into the parish register for St François de la Sales at Pte Gatineau. This let me take them back a couple of generations leading me back to Grenville and St Benoit.

I decided to utilize the search engine of ancestry by breaking up the tree into four sections (each grandparent) and that proved to be highly successful as the search engine then selected records that fitted the data that I have on hand. I found at least 30 new items looking at the first branch of the tree. I make the trees private since my purpose in putting them up is to assist me in finding records. Eventually I will give all the information to our children to set up their own family tree webpage. That is probably a few years off as it will take me quite a bit of time to prove all of these lines.

Now I shall get back to proving the 3x great grandparents. I was getting bogged down trying to find particular marriages but using the Ancestry search engine has proven to be most successful. I also look at World Connect and do a Google search to see what other people have found as that is quite valuable in research as well I have found. Without family stories, researching family lines is quite difficult I noticed with my husband's research. Most of his family stories had been lost by the time that he started researching. Vague family lore about Dutchess County was about all he had to go on. His lines have been here since the 1600s with just one exception his great grandparents who came directly from Germany to New York and then up to Canada in 1846 and 1866 respectively.

No comments: